Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
As you can see, I am replacing an ancient router (WNDR 4300) that continues to work well 12 years after it was bought. The difference is I now stream YouTube TV, and have at least 3-4 Mac computers connected with 2 playing Destiny on GeForce at the same time, and the other two on YouTube a good part of the time plus there are 4 iPhones and a couple iPads in intermittent use on the network. Believe it it not, the Netgear router does a good job with all this for the most part but I am guessing I’m pushing against the ceiling of what the router is capable of with all that is going on. Since it has been a long time since I replaced the router, I am seeking help with what the next on should be. I am thinking WiFi 6 for a speed (could look attached 6e but only have 2 devices (an iPhone and a Mac) that could connect to it) and I’d like one that is reliable and has the capability to serve the gaming computers properly while letting everything else function well on my network.

I have a Spectrum cable internet connection at 300 Mbps and I am considering upping the connection to a higher speed but want to replace the router first since it is so old.

I don’t have a huge amount of money but I don’t want to cheap out on a router that I have to replace in a few months. We are doing OK in my house with the one router but I would probably add a range extender for the upstairs of my house. I’m not sure I need a mesh network but I will consider it if appropriate.

What would you suggest I consider?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
If you are the geeky kind and want to mess around get Pfsense or an Opnsense router, but that will cost you a bit more since its essentially a mini PC.
If you don't want that go for ASUS AX line. 6E is just overkill and you will end up paying extra for something that prob won't be used much. Save that money and get a Wifi7 router in 5-6 years instead since most routers these days seem to become EOL fairly quick and its more important than ever to stay up to date these days.

Not sure if you have kids but if you do you can control their internet access easy with ASUS routers.
The ASUS AX86 is well tried out and a good one, if you wanna save a few bucks go for their AX50 or 60 series.

Not saying Netgear is a bad choice, I am running their WAC AP's, but I think they do lack some features compared to ASUS and don't provide updates for as long as ASUS does if you look at their consumer devices.

Asus can be completed with mesh devices and become part of a MESH network should it be needed in the future

Reactions: wncmacs

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just a few possibilities...

TP Link routers are "yeoman-grade", nothing super-special, but affordable and they work well enough for most folks' needs.

There is also the TP Link "Deco" mesh system, as well.

wncmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Just a few possibilities...

TP Link routers are "yeoman-grade", nothing super-special, but affordable and they work well enough for most folks' needs.

There is also the TP Link "Deco" mesh system, as well.
I know there is a spread in prices here. Do you have a preference among these routers? Do you prefer TP Link over other brands? Why?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’d like to stay in the $200 range if possible.
This Asustek router is "midrange" and aren't to pricey.
Can be used in a mesh config and should you need to tweak and mess around with network settings that can be done as well.

This fella reviews quite a lot of routers and seem fairly honest in his reviews.

I would stay away from TP-link, sure they give a lot of bang for the buck but they are cheap for a reason.
And that reason from my experience is a lack of providing updates to their HW.
But, some of their models do offer support if you want to put another OS on there (dd-wrt or similar) which then can be patched. But that's going down the geeky route and requires more from the user.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.