Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1960RebeccaJB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Ohio
I would like to get a new Apple Mac mini dual-core Intel Core i7 3.0GHz and replace the El Capitan with Yosemite, because my Adobe Suite 5 software InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator etc. will all work with Yosemite ,but not El Capitan. Will this work on the newer Mac mini? Thank you for your help.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Yes, you should be able to install Yosemite fine on the Mac Mini (early 2009 and later).

1960RebeccaJB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Ohio
Yes, you should be able to install Yosemite fine on the Mac Mini (early 2009 and later).
Actually the new Mac Mini that I want to get is a 2014 Intel Core i7 3.0GHz. They say it has El Capitan on it, but I would prefer Yosemite instead. I mainly want to know if I get this much newer Mac Mini (I presently have a 2010 model) whether replacing a newer version operating system with an older one would work.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Actually the new Mac Mini that I want to get is a 2014 Intel Core i7 3.0GHz. They say it has El Capitan on it, but I would prefer Yosemite instead. I mainly want to know if I get this much newer Mac Mini (I presently have a 2010 model) whether replacing a newer version operating system with an older one would work.
Yes, you can install any older Operating System that the computer will support. The 2014 Mac Mini will work fine with Yosemite.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you already have a Yosemite installer or have downloaded it in the past on another computer using your App Store account, you should be able to do it. If not, you'll have to find one - or, clone or Time Machine restore from your Yosemite computer (if you have one, which it sounds like you do).

If you don't have easy access to a Yosemite installer, if you don't keep a backup (or two, or three ...), it will be that much harder to restore if the disk crashes. Also, if you use Safari, you'll need to be mindful that at some point, the latest version will no longer work in Yosemite at which point you may want to stop using Safari because security updates will likely stop being issued (the current version of Safari is 10, which does work in Yosemite). As a guide, for Safari 9, the last version that works with Mavericks, the last security update was Sept. 1, 2016. The next macOS, High Sierra, is due out in the fall at which point Yosemite will be 3 versions behind it so you should also pay attention to when Apple stops issuing security updates for Yosemite and make sure you're adequately prepared (mainly being careful).

1960RebeccaJB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Ohio
If you already have a Yosemite installer or have downloaded it in the past on another computer using your App Store account, you should be able to do it. If not, you'll have to find one - or, clone or Time Machine restore from your Yosemite computer (if you have one, which it sounds like you do).

If you don't have easy access to a Yosemite installer, if you don't keep a backup (or two, or three ...), it will be that much harder to restore if the disk crashes. Also, if you use Safari, you'll need to be mindful that at some point, the latest version will no longer work in Yosemite at which point you may want to stop using Safari because security updates will likely stop being issued (the current version of Safari is 10, which does work in Yosemite). As a guide, for Safari 9, the last version that works with Mavericks, the last security update was Sept. 1, 2016. The next macOS, High Sierra, is due out in the fall at which point Yosemite will be 3 versions behind it so you should also pay attention to when Apple stops issuing security updates for Yosemite and make sure you're adequately prepared (mainly being careful).

Thank you so much for all the valid information. I was able to download Yosemite a few weeks ago. It took me a few days to find one, but now I'm good to go.

I have another question. I am actually thinking about keeping my 2010 Mac Mini and only keeping a small amount of apps on it, like Adobe Suites: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. and Microsoft Word and Excel. I paid a lot of money when I got all this software in 2011 and now if I want to upgrade, I found out I have to pay a monthly subscription fee, which I think is ridiculous.

Anyway, so by keeping the 2010 Mac Mini and then getting a 2014 Mac Mini as well, I was wanting to connect both computers to my one and only HP Monitor. I know some may suggest that I get a second monitor, but because I'm disabled I have and the limited space that I have to work in, one monitor is all I can have in front of me and still be comfortable. I looked up some monitor cable splitters online, but I want to make sure i get the best the first time I order. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the valuable input! I appreciate it very much!

P.S. I will need an HDMI splitter.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have you confirmed that those apps really don't work on Sierra? My Adobe software is a bit older, I have Photoshop CS3. Recently upgraded my Mini and MacBook Air to Sierra and was pleasantly surprised to find that Photoshop still works just fine - I had read in several places that it wouldn't. The first time I opened it I was prompted to download a legacy version of Java and that took care of it. Now I only have Photoshop though, so maybe the other Adobe apps are different, and maybe newer versions of the apps are more particular.

Regarding using both computers with the same monitor, before buying anything you might try enabling screen sharing on the old machine and using the new machine to access it that way. With a gigabit ethernet connection this works pretty well for most purposes. I use it to access another mini on my home network.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you downloaded Yosemite from a non-Apple site, you should see if you can get somebody that can get you an installer from Apple. If that's not possible, just search online to make sure people have not had issues with whatever source you used.

If you want to use a single monitor with multiple computers, you're looking for a switch, not a splitter. If your HP monitor has a DVI input, you can connect one computer to the DVI port on the monitor and the second on the HDMI port. The 2011 Mini should have had a HDMI-to-DVI adapter with it. I have a HP 2511x monitor and to switch between HDMI and DVI is clumsy (you have to go through a series of menus) so I got a HDMI switch. It might be easier on your HP monitor. On another monitor I have, you can switch between ports just by pressing a button. That's ideal and it would mean you wouldn't have to spend money on a switch.

I've had a Cable Matters HDMI switch for a couple of years now and that's worked well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Supporting-Resolution-Twin-Pack/dp/B00UNX0ZBS

Even though this has the same model number of what I have, manufacturers change stuff so be aware of that. This switch gets power from a USB source so you should make sure you have a USB port available. At times, I temporarily need the USB port so I disconnect it and it seems to work fine without the USB power - but I never switch when it doesn't have USB power. Before getting the Cable Matters switch, I had a 3-source to 1-monitor switch that looks like triangle with 2 curved sides - if you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about (there are multiple vendors that sell what seems to be the same switch). That did not work with my setup in my media room which has a 2014 Mini, a 2009 Mini and a AV receiver connected to my 2511x monitor via HDMI.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
One other thought about old Adobe apps on newer versions of MacOS... You may not be able to install them on the new machine, however you might be able to migrate them. As I said, CS3 works fine under Sierra on my MacBook Air. When I upgraded the operating system, I installed it over the old version as opposed to erasing and starting from scratch. With a new computer, you can use Apple's Migration Assistant - this will run automatically when you setup the new computer. If you connect an external disk with a clone or Time Machine backup of your old system, it will move everything to the new computer. This has worked for me with lots of old, expensive software.

OTOH, I upgraded another computer to Sierra and did a clean install on an external SSD. I copied Photoshop CS3 to that machine by just dragging the application to it and got an error message saying it could not be used.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Anyway, so by keeping the 2010 Mac Mini and then getting a 2014 Mac Mini as well, I was wanting to connect both computers to my one and only HP Monitor. I know some may suggest that I get a second monitor, but because I'm disabled I have and the limited space that I have to work in, one monitor is all I can have in front of me and still be comfortable. I looked up some monitor cable splitters online, but I want to make sure i get the best the first time I order. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the valuable input! I appreciate it very much!

P.S. I will need an HDMI splitter.

I Have my two(2) MM's(Late 2012 and 2014) connected to one(1) BenQ Monitor via a "IBIS" HDMI Bi-Directional Switch for the last couple of years and works great. I bought the Switch off Amazon.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.