Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I'm interested in opinions from folks on this forum regarding pros and cons of my particular iPhone situation

I have a two-year old iPhone Xs Max that I've just discovered has a non-functioning rear (main) camera. Otherwise the phone is working fine. I have dropped the phone recently and suspect that the camera problem was caused by that drop (the phone is in a protective case but I dropped it flat on its back on a hard tile floor).

I don't have AppleCare+ (this experience may cause me to re-think that decision for my next phone purchase). The phone is nearly paid off so for the purpose of this discussion I own it free and clear. I use AT&T however I won't have any particular tie to AT&T with the phone paid off.

The phone satisfies all of my needs and for my usage I have no need to get one of the latest and greatest models.

I feel like I have a few alternatives. I can afford any of these choices but I don't want to 'waste' money:

1) Repair - I can have the phone repaired at my nearest Apple Store, however it will cost $599 (fixed fee for repairs out of warranty). If I do that then I would probably have a new battery installed at the same time ($69), resulting in a phone that should be essentially refurbished and good for use for several more years.

I know that there are other authorized repair places - would that be significantly less expensive?

2) Replace - I could (I think) replace the phone with another (new) iPhone Xs Max if prices have dropped significantly for remaining new models that might be available. I have done some initial searching to see if I can get an attractive price on a new Xs Max and so far have been disappointed in what I'm able to find. Reason for getting another Xs Max would be to minimize the replacement cost, plus I could use my current case and save some money - I'm thinking it 'should' be possible to find a brand new Xs Max for roughly the same cost as a repair at the Apple Store?

3) Swap with my wife and replace / upgrade - My wife and I both have Xs Max iPhones with same specs. She uses her phone considerably more for photo taking, so I'm thinking of taking her phone for my own use, and then getting a newer model for her, one of the currently available new iPhone models. Camera improvements seem to me to be the biggest reasons for spending money on a newer model, or getting the latest model.

Whichever model we might purchase will obviously be better than our current Xs Max. With the iPhone 12 now released, is the 'best value' for an average user one of the iPhone 11 models, or should we go ahead and take the bigger step to a new iPhone 12? She likes the big screen so we would probably get a 12 Pro Max.

4) AppleCare+ would have cost me (I think) $15/mo, less than what I will now end up paying whichever direction I choose. However, this will be the first time I've had such an expensive repair needed, for many years. I'm therefore still inclined to go without AppleCare for any new phone I end up purchasing.

Bottom line, I think, is that either 1 or 2 will be least expensive, maybe equivalent. A new phone will be a few hundred, perhaps several hundred, more - but will be better/faster and probably more satisfying going forward.

We do not yet have 5G in our area and I do not know how soon it may be offered here.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My earlier post hasn't generated much interest, but for closure if nothing else I'll provide an update here regarding how I've finally resolved this.

In brief, I visited the Apple Store yesterday, had made a Genius Bar appointment to have the phone and camera checked, and it will be necessary to replace only the camera - they will charge me just $79 for that work. Needless to say that is a huge relief from what I had expected, given what I had concluded based on Apple's website.

They ordered the camera, did not have it in stock, and I will be going back to the store once it arrives. I'll have both the camera and the battery replaced at that time.

Reactions: bmac4

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That’s a huge relief! Congrats! I was going to say going with the 12 for the wife would be a size downgrade, so that might not make her too happy. Cameras are amazing, but the screen size might be an issue. I have the iPhone 12 pro, and am loving the size. I have small hands for a male, so I have always gone for the smaller pro phones, or the X. Fits much better in hand.

Anyways, glad you got it for cheaper! Let us know how everything turns out.

Reactions: Phil77354

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
That’s a huge relief! Congrats! I was going to say going with the 12 for the wife would be a size downgrade, so that might not make her too happy. Cameras are amazing, but the screen size might be an issue. I have the iPhone 12 pro, and am loving the size. I have small hands for a male, so I have always gone for the smaller pro phones, or the X. Fits much better in hand.

Anyways, glad you got it for cheaper! Let us know how everything turns out.

Thanks. We'll look at the new iPhone 12 models when we go back to get my phone fixed. The 12 Pro Max will probably not be in the store by that time, but we'll be able to look at the other models. No rush, we don't need a new phone, hopefully we can resist the temptation! The new camera capabilities are fascinating.

Reactions: bmac4

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Thanks. We'll look at the new iPhone 12 models when we go back to get my phone fixed. The 12 Pro Max will probably not be in the store by that time, but we'll be able to look at the other models. No rush, we don't need a new phone, hopefully we can resist the temptation! The new camera capabilities are fascinating.

Yeah I would check out the 12 and see what you guys think. Can’t hurt.

Reactions: Phil77354
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.