Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I like compact size so I picked 12 mini, and I will always take compact size as an important consideration. After taking the size, battery capacity and the price into account, while chip isn't really important for me because as I said I don't do anything heavy, which model do you think is the best bet? I wouldn't mind waiting till September or October when new iPhone is released and the older models have their price cut down.
Compact iPhones and battery life don’t go hand in hand, barring the 1st-gen iPhone SE on iOS 9 and 10, which was quite amazing.

I doubt the 13 Mini will be a massive improvement. “Regular” 6.1-inch iPhones have always had amazing battery life (at least on their original iOS versions), starting with the iPhone Xʀ, so just for battery life, the regular 13 should be great, provided you don’t update it.

People already complain about the iPhone Xʀ’s battery life on iOS 16, so no device is safe from that, and the screenshots I’ve seen from iOS 16 are abhorrent.

Perhaps the 13 Mini has been improved enough for you, but I can’t tell you that with certainty. It’s a coin toss, no guarantees.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Replacing the battery or getting a magsafe powerbank? Prices are close, what do you think?

Is getting a magsafe powerbank a wiser choice? I think the total power (i.e. phone's battery and the powerbank) would be even larger! Is that right?

At the moment I am using iPhone 12 mini, the first thing is I DON'T PLAY any game, listen to any music, or watch any video with my iPhone AT ALL. I DON'T use bluetooth and map (i.e. location services) too.

However, I find that the battery drains so fast, I have to charge it once every day. I don't do too much texting. I probably only like to browse a few websites for a while every day. I cannot see the reason why it drains so quickly.

Do you recommend me replace the battery or get a newer iPhone e.g. 14 ? I personally don't need a faster chip or the most updated phone but battery is my only concern. I don't want to carry a powerbank around.

Is 12 mini known to have battery issue in general or could it be QC problem to a small amount of unlucky products?
realise i'm replying to an old post but … …
i have a 12 mini and easily get a full day of usage on the original battery.
it's coming up to 3 years old and battery maximum capacity is showing 87%.
when it drops below 75% i'll head down to the local phone bar and have a new battery installed for AUD $100.
beats $1000+ for a new iPhone.
the mini is ideal for my usage which is roughly the same as yours

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is getting a magsafe powerbank a wiser choice? I think the total power (i.e. phone's battery and the powerbank) would be even larger! Is that right?
I don’t see the point of having a small phone, then slapping on a battery pack that increases the size by 50%. To me, it’d make far more sense to plug the phone into a 20w charger mid-day for a “top-up.”

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don’t see the point of having a small phone, then slapping on a battery pack that increases the size by 50%. To me, it’d make far more sense to plug the phone into a 20w charger mid-day for a “top-up.”
Agreed. OP, you also said that you’re charging once a day, and that seems okay.

iPhone charging speeds are quite amazing even with a 5w charger. A half-hour, middle-of-the-day charge with a 20W charger should make it enough, if you can.

If you can’t, then I guess I’d just upgrade. Like you said, I don’t see the point of having a small phone with a battery pack.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I have an iPhone 12 pro max with 82% battery capacity, I might just change battery. I'm still pretty happy with my phone. I'm usually the type who jumps to the new iPhone since 3GS but I'm not seeing any reason anymore to upgrade since my 12 pro max.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If you want to save money, and the only issue you having with your phone is battery life, and except that it serve your needs - get new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.