Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
Hi all,

Im looking to upgrade my first-day macbook's hard drive to at least 120GB.

Any suggestions on what brand of drive I will have to get.

Also how complicated is this project going to be?

Thanks

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I did mine.

Some pointers:

I made sure the computer worked fine first. I updated the internal drive with the latest software updates, just in case I had to go back to it.

Make sure the new drive is 5200 rpm and has an 8MB cache.

Keep the old drive, if your computer needs servicing, it's easier to have the original memory and drive in it.

yabai

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Make sure you have a T-8 Torx screwdriver for the Hard drive caddy screws!

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I did mine.

Some pointers:

I made sure the computer worked fine first. I updated the internal drive with the latest software updates, just in case I had to go back to it.

Make sure the new drive is 5200 rpm and has an 8MB cache.

Keep the old drive, if your computer needs servicing, it's easier to have the original memory and drive in it.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to replace the 5400 RPM, 8MB cache drive with a 7200 RPM ,16MB cache drive? Especially if you plan on doing any video editing

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Why? Wouldn't it be better to replace the 5400 RPM, 8MB cache drive with a 7200 RPM ,16MB cache drive? Especially if you plan on doing any video editing

Definitely! Gkerris doesn't know what he's talking about. The stock hard drive is a 5400rpm, so why replace it with another of the same speed. I'd opt for the 7200rpm.

Cave Man

macrumors 604

Because today's 5400 rpm drives are extremely fast, even with 8 mb of cache. Unless there's a compelling reason for 7200 rpm, 5400 is the way to go, dollar for dollar.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
There's no doubt that the 5400 drives have improved.. But, from what I understand, their benefit is that their bigger, correct? So if I had a 7200RPM drive with 45% available and a 5400 RPM drive available isn't the 7200RPM going to be faster?

I hear what you're saying- and there's no doubt there's some pretty strong cases that can be made for the 5400's- but I'm still of the opinion that an internal 7200RPM drive with enough free space on it to operate is still the fastest for video.. I tried a fast external drive connected with a firewire 400 and couldn't figure out why it didn't work as well...lol..Maybe I'm off base, but I'm going to drop a 7200 in my macbook, keep it as clean as possible and do my video editing from there- keep in mind my video editing is nothing professional- just playing around learning FCE and making highlight videos for my football team as well as the weekly review of our teams performance and the scout footage of the upcoming opponent..

Cave Man

macrumors 604
There's no doubt that the 5400 drives have improved.. But, from what I understand, their benefit is that their bigger, correct? So if I had a 7200RPM drive with 45% available and a 5400 RPM drive available isn't the 7200RPM going to be faster?

According to Tom's, the fastest notebook drive available for sustained writing is a 5400 rpm Samsung (320 gigs). Data density improves performance.

I hear what you're saying- and there's no doubt there's some pretty strong cases that can be made for the 5400's- but I'm still of the opinion that an internal 7200RPM drive with enough free space on it to operate is still the fastest for video.. I tried a fast external drive connected with a firewire 400 and couldn't figure out why it didn't work as well

You were comparing FW400 to internal SATA?

...lol..Maybe I'm off base, but I'm going to drop a 7200 in my macbook, keep it as clean as possible and do my video editing from there- keep in mind my video editing is nothing professional- just playing around learning FCE and making highlight videos for my football team as well as the weekly review of our teams performance and the scout footage of the upcoming opponent..

Do you work for the Patriots?

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
haha- no, I don't work for the Patriots- just an overworked high school football coach.. But ya know what? I can't believe they pay me for this.. Sure, I work about 70 hours a week in season and about 35per week in the off season on my football program, in addition to my regular work load, and I'm actually scared to break it down and figure out how much my stipend ends up paying me by the hour- but shoot, I'd pay them to let me do this.. Just don't tell them that because my wife gets the stipend and if that went away I might not be able to watch football videos all day long anymore..;-)

Well, to be honest, I did think an external was the way to go for video editing- and I'm sure it is- if you have the right set-up.. Clearly firewire 400 isn't that..lol.. So, yeah, I'm guilty as charged.. Now I edit with my internal and send it to DVD's for the coaches and the main HD with the editing system that we use for cataloging, and then the state run online service that we're required to use for film sharing purposes.. Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty simple.. Just wish the online film sharing worked a little better..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.