Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I've a MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2010) and I recently opened it up to clean its insides from dust, and as I was removing the optical drive, I realized just how much space it takes up.

I was wondering if there's anything I could do with it, besides installing a second hard drive, which is of no use to me.

Has anyone figured a workaround to install an extra graphics card, or extra RAM, or hopefully an extra battery in that area? Or maybe, I don't know, an extra fan, to help out with the overall temperature of my MB?

If all the aforementioned are out of the question, it's not a problem if I just don't install the optical drive back, is it? I mean, if anything, it can only help with battery consumption and/or overall temperature; rather miniscule I'd expect, but still better, right?

Let me know. Thank you.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Nah nothing like that. CPU/GPU's soldered to the Logic Board. You've just got a SATA connection in there so we're either talking optical drive or hard-drive really. SATA II IIRC.

Besides it's an older laptop so there are so many bottlenecks. If you haven't already, installing an SSD and maxing the RAM should ensure maximum performance from your machine.

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no market (especially now 8 years later) for such things and short of adding a drive there's not much you can do with the 2010 MBP.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Nah nothing like that. CPU/GPU's soldered to the Logic Board. You've just got a SATA connection in there so we're either talking optical drive or hard-drive really. SATA II IIRC.

Besides it's an older laptop so there are so many bottlenecks. If you haven't already, installing an SSD and maxing the RAM should ensure maximum performance from your machine.

Yea, I've already installed an SSD and I maxed the RAM. :/ Was hoping I could do something with the optical drive space. :/

So anyway, I just leave it empty right? I really don't need the optical drive or an extra hard drive, I don't have too many files.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
If you need the space, get another SSD, and RAID them together. That will give you even faster speeds, though with a 2010 model, it may not be that beneficial.

Well, SSD's are not too cheap iirc. I'd do it but if you say it's not that beneficial, I'll probably just leave it as it. :/

leave it empty, enjoy the weight savings. That's the only benefit you'll be able to feel the difference of.

Weight is the only difference? Even though little difference, I should expect less battery consumption and/or lower overall temperature of the MB, no?

I mean, now when I touch the surface that the optical drive used to be, it's colder than what it was. One would expect that this would contribute to lower overall MB temperature. Kind of like trapping less heat.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, SSD's are not too cheap iirc. I'd do it but if you say it's not that beneficial, I'll probably just leave it as it. :/
Here's my take.
I mentioned it, and there are people impressed with the speed, but SSDs are very fast, will you really benefit from stripping two SSDs together? Probably not, but it's really the only option for upgrading that machine. You'll be upgrading it, just for the sake of upgrading and if that's the case, I don't think its worth it.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009

Weight is the only difference? Even though little difference, I should expect less battery consumption and/or lower overall temperature of the MB, no?

I mean, now when I touch the surface that the optical drive used to be, it's colder than what it was. One would expect that this would contribute to lower overall MB temperature. Kind of like trapping less heat.

I would of thought if the optical drive wasn't in use then it wouldn't be using very much power and therefore not producing any heat.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Here's my take.
I mentioned it, and there are people impressed with the speed, but SSDs are very fast, will you really benefit from stripping two SSDs together? Probably not, but it's really the only option for upgrading that machine. You'll be upgrading it, just for the sake of upgrading and if that's the case, I don't think its worth it.

I would of thought if the optical drive wasn't in use then it wouldn't be using very much power and therefore not producing any heat.

Thank you and everyone else in this thread.

Last question: Would it be possible to upgrage its battery? I don't mean the exact same one, just brand new. I mean a different one altogether. One that lasts longer maybe?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Unless you used your now removed drive a lot, removing it would make little if any difference in battery use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.