Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
To all the ppl who can't get through the day without charging, how many hours is the screen active?

It seems to me (as someone who is using a non-smartphone) that perhaps the phone is used too much?

perhaps some tasks could be delegated to larger screens and actually get the job done faster then on a phone?

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Better 2100 than 1810...because with 1810 the usage should be the same like iphone 5s...but with this extra we could get some 20-30% better usage

That would probably be enough to get me through the second day.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Or maybe the 2,100 mAh Battery is for the bigger 5.5inch phone.

But i would very much welcome a bigger battery. There should be enough space in the device, because its bigger than the 5s. And battery technology is improving - albeit slowly.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Really? My definition of 'great' is different.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/great

The battery performance is sufficient, at most. But it's not good. It's not better than the competition. And it's definitely not great.

For my dad it's great, for me it's sufficient. As you have no idea how that person you're replying to uses their phone you can't say.

Have you run detailed tests on the battery life to say so surely it's not better than the competition? Here's Anandtech's tests: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5

From their tests it appears that the 5s is better than most phones that came out before, and worse than a couple that came out after. I imagine the iPhone 6 will again leap frog the competition. And then he competition will leapfrog back. Progress is great.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
To all the ppl who can't get through the day without charging, how many hours is the screen active?

If you consider that your iPhone lights up whenever a push notification comes in, or that you have to wake the device whenever you want to check for missed notifications, I think that probably contributes a lot too. Several Android devices (I think at least Samsung) and BlackBerry of course have solved that problem with energy-efficient LED notifications, something I’d love to see on iPhone too.

Last edited:

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Adding that thickness and bigger battery would also make the device heavier. Use a battery pack if you don't mind thickness and heavy devices. I want my phone to be slim and light and my 5s already have great battery performance.

I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of any of the iPhones. I have however heard many users complain about the battery life. I guess everyone has different needs, but I do think that the majority of users would like their iPhone to last longer, rather than be lighter.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Thank you.

People on this forum forget they're probably not the norm. My dad gets 2 days from his 5c - he's very light user, but I imagine there are more him then there are of 'us' on this forum. I get about 12 hours from my 5s. But I have an office job and I have a dock on my desk.

Your estimates are on the next iPhone are interesting.

Anandtech shows the 'tiny' battery in the 5s competes quite well against the 3000 mAh Android flagships.

Actually, the whole point of a Smartphone is to use it for tasks that a normal Nokia cannot do. If I use my phone very lightly, I can make it last over 3 days maybe. Does this mean that the phone battery life is enough?

Apple is promoting gaming on its platform. It is promoting an always connected device willing to talk to your health gadgets, laptop and tablet in real time. If I don't use any of this stuff and just use it to make 5 minute calls I am sure it is enough.

If I use it in a normal smartphone scenario, connected to my smart watch, connected for some time to my car. Listen to a little bit of radio or podcasts, read the news, interact on facebook, whatsapp, etc.
It dies. Does not last a day.

Your Anandtech charts are interesting and they have been in the business since ages and I follow their reviews so I won't say they are wrong.

All I know is that on my Nexus 5 (with a custom rom and a custom kernel), my daily habit of reading the news and responding to messages when I wake up takes about 10% of the battery (down to 90%).

Doing the exact same thing on the 5s takes it down 22% (down to 78%).

Why?

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Seems like Apple is willing to do design over battery.

But still, I won't bother. The 5s already lasts my full day and with a little bigger battery it will be even better for me, personally.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Why is Apple going with a thinner phone over a larger battery suddenly a revelation for everyone?

Have you all been asleep for the last 7 years or something?

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
My iPhone 5 battery was cactus by evening, heavy use you could just about see the charge % ticking over. Last weekend I took it into the Apple store and they replaced it. I just got three days of use, three calls a day, a couple of map searches, an hour of browsing a day, I get about 50 emails a day. Pretty happy.

Oh, I also like the two year warranty in Australia. My 23 month old battery was replaced for free in half an hour.

One of my offsiders at work had a galaxy S4. It had battery issues almost immediately. Battery would only last a couple of hours at the most. Samsung got him to send it in, gone for three weeks. He gets about a day of use out of it now.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Adding that thickness and bigger battery would also make the device heavier. Use a battery pack if you don't mind thickness and heavy devices. I want my phone to be slim and light and my 5s already have great battery performance.

I do use a battery pack (Mophie) and largely I find the arrangement to be excellent. However, there are some drawbacks, the most obvious one being that the lens on the iPhone Camera tends to fog when you take the phone out of your pocket because the lens is recessed within the case. This is pretty much true of all cases. Thus, I would prefer a larger battery to reduced weight and thickness. I'd also like to see the iPhone made a little more robust, especially to water (I live, and hill-walk, in Scotland).

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Really? My definition of 'great' is different.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/great

The battery performance is sufficient, at most. But it's not good. It's not better than the competition. And it's definitely not great.

Maybe so.

I have three email accounts on push, I have background activity and location enabled for all apps and the system. I have data, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth etc always enabled. I never force quit applications, my screen is on auto brightness, I have notifications that light up my lock screen, I have Facebook installed which is blamed to drain battery, I have Philips Hue app that uses location to toggle my lights at home when I arrive or leave.

I use my phone regularly during the day, checking Facebook, texting, web browsing, listen to spotify for with Bluetooth earpods for about an hour.

This leaves me with about 40-50% left when I hit the bed. I think that's great and I don't know what people do with their iPhones when they run out of battery half through the day.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
ooo apple, even though your software can optimize battery usage. but bigger battery size = better. :(

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I dont care about the competitors neither do I care about the people who prefer battery over silliness...

Well, I hope the iPhone 6 is silly enough for you - not sure that is one of Mr Ive's priorities though.

Though maybe if we see lots of clown pictures going up just before the September 9th announcement...

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
That would be so fantastic! The more the better, and hopefully the 5.5'' model will have even much more.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings.

From Apple's website. Of course if you're an incredibly heavy user, your battery isn't going to last as long.....

:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And if Apple made the next phone thicker and heavier people would be complaining like they did with the 3rd gen iPad.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
technology evolves should everything stay the same thickness? they will continue to get smaller thats just what happens.

So you're basically advocating thinness simply for the sake of sake of thinness?

On the other hand this is macrumors, so I guess this is to be expected...

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
ooo apple, even though your software can optimize battery usage. but bigger battery size = better. :(

Bigger battery doesn't equal better. Bigger battery is heavier, thicker and most importantly takes longer to load to 100%.

More efficient power usage = better.

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Better news than a mock up iPhone image. It will be exciting to see how this works with the upgrades in the phone and how usage will be compared to previous versions.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Bigger iPhone = Bigger battery. Sounds logical to me. A faster iPhone 5S in a bigger package would be nice, but where's the killer feature?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.