Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a stupid grumble because it's just as much of a pain for you guys to remove it, but the 30 second mandatory limit between reports is painful when reporting spam. I know you just need to report one bit of spam from one user to delete the whole account, but when it's multiple people, it takes ages.

See the below for an example. All 6 are spam, all 6 are different users. It would take a guaranteed 3 minutes just to report this, counting down between each report. Is there any way you can implement a "report spam" button for users' first post only, or with a join date of "today"? It would make a heck of a lot of difference because almost all spam will be from new users.

Also with no way to discern who's reported something for spam already, the report might be redundant. Not sure if anybody here would agree or has any other thoughts for how this could be improved?

chore.PNG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a stupid grumble because it's just as much of a pain for you guys to remove it, but the 30 second mandatory limit between reports is painful when reporting spam. I know you just need to report one bit of spam from one user to delete the whole account, but when it's multiple people, it takes ages.

See the below for an example. All 6 are spam, all 6 are different users. It would take a guaranteed 3 minutes just to report this, counting down between each report. Is there any way you can implement a "report spam" button for users' first post only, or with a join date of "today"? It would make a heck of a lot of difference because almost all spam will be from new users.

Also with no way to discern who's reported something for spam already, the report might be redundant. Not sure if anybody here would agree or has any other thoughts for how this could be improved?

View attachment 815112

Well done on reporting spam in such quantities.

I take the view that this is akin to fly swatting; on a grumpy morning, few things are more satisfying than reporting spam.

However, I take your point. When a veritable tsunami of spam strikes, it can present something of a challenge to keep up, especially if one has to wait between posts before reporting the next one.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It does seem ironic that there’s a time limit for the reporting of the spam but not for the posting of it? @C DM ?
Yeah, not sure if it would have helped in this circumstance, with multiple users involved it seems, but some additional more robust flood protection when it comes to new threads would definitely be useful.

Looks like some newer ideas are being discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-have-an-idea-that-may-cut-down-on-spam.2164609/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.