Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DKZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
I'm in a situation wherein I have the option to return my 12" iBook for a Macbook, and I'm having a hard time figuring out wheter or not to do it. I know it's faster and all, but I mostly use my Ibook for surfing, watching movies, office production and a little iPhoto, so I don't know how much difference there'll be in my everyday use. My biggest issue is size, I really like my ibook for it's size, so some pictures of a 12" ibook and a macbook compared would help me a lot.

Btw my ibook has a 60gb hdd and 1gb ram, and I feel it's pretty responsive. The thing is that I have to make up my mind by tomorrow, so it's getting close.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
DKZ said:
I'm in a situation wherein I have the option to return my 12" iBook for a Macbook, and I'm having a hard time figuring out wheter or not to do it. I know it's faster and all, but I mostly use my Ibook for surfing, watching movies, office production and a little iPhoto, so I don't know how much difference there'll be in my everyday use. My biggest issue is size, I really like my ibook for it's size, so some pictures of a 12" ibook and a macbook compared would help me a lot.

Btw my ibook has a 60gb hdd and 1gb ram, and I feel it's pretty responsive. The thing is that I have to make up my mind by tomorrow, so it's getting close.

I started a thread the other day, with a similar goal. There's a picture of an PowerBook on top of a MacBook. The PowerBook is basically the same size as the iBook (from above).

Personally, I love my iBook for it's size as well and the MacBook is a disappointment IMO.

I guess it's something someone may get used to for the other added bonuses - i.e. widescreen, faster processor, able to run dual-boot with Windows, much easier to upgrade the hard drive ... err oh yeah maybe heat and occasional moo'ing. :p

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
12-inch iBook vs MacBook (side view)

Better picture.
attachment.php

DKZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Danksi said:
Better picture.
attachment.php

Thanks, its a good picture.

But I am not sure that I want the ekstra size even if it comes with the extra stuff.

You sound like you have pretty much the same concerns about the macbook that I have, but maybe you've had your iBook longer then me. So what do you think, is it fast enough for everyday use?

I think so so far, but I've only had for less then two weeks, the only time I've met unsatisfactory performance is in iWeb, and I think that may be because it's a pretty new program.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
DKZ said:
You sound like you have pretty much the same concerns about the macbook that I have, but maybe you've had your iBook longer then me. So what do you think, is it fast enough for everyday use?

I think so so far, but I've only had for less then two weeks, the only time I've met unsatisfactory performance is in iWeb, and I think that may be because it's a pretty new program.

I've had my iBook since beginning of December last year, as I wanted something for a Xmas/New Years trip to the UK. I was very happy as everything about the iBook is very portable, even the power supply, which is much smaller than the Windows laptop supplies I've had in the past.

Anyway, I use it daily for general stuff like e-mail, instant messaging, browsing, iLife apps, MS Word/Excel. I've also used it for iWeb and didn't feel it was too slow.

I also use it for some part-time work, which means working remotely via File-Maker and the only thing I'm thinking of at the moment is a larger external screen (and the screen spanning hack), whilst I'm at my desk and that's because I'm selling my video-editing iMac for a PowerMac and will need a monitor for that anyway. Otherwise the screen size is just right...

... there's nothing on the MacBook, that for me personally, makes me want to rush out and sell the iBook.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Smallest computer, next to the 12" PB, that Apple will probably ever make. The PB is a bit smaller, just a tiny bit, but the iBook runs a lot cooler. I love my 1.5 PB, on it now. MacBooks are a good size compromise, but smaller and lighter is better. If your computer is going to just sit on a desk, however, you might want the MacBook.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I'd take a 13.3" MBP over the 12" PB or iBooks. Having a Dell 600m (12" widescreen) with the lid closed beside my 12" PB always makes the Dell look much bigger, but that's only because it's wider. It is wider, but also less deep, so the overall volume is around the same.

I'd get a MB, but if you don't want to take the risk of being stuck with a MB that has lots of faults, then stick with the iBook and just sell it in 12-18 months if you want something faster later on.

tomokun

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
Deffinaitly get the macbook. Once you go widescreen, a normal screen just doesnt look right. That and the brightness is a nice selling point on the MB too.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I'd go for the macbook. It's basically a better computer for nothing. Just do it before you lose your chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.