Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HitmanX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
I was wondering if someone could create a bowling application. Where you can enter the date you bowled, be able to enter your bowling scores, show high game/series and figure out your average. I would love to be able to keep track of that on my iPhone. Don't know if we have any other bowlers out there!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I would love to help you guys out, but I'm not sure how to make it make economic sense (i.e.: pay for the server).

As an experiment I did http://www.tictacwhoa.com. It looks like the ad revenue will result in break-even (that's all i ask for) but the kinds of apps you are talking about require slightly more expensive server space because they need to support cgi (since the score data needs to be stored on the server rather than the client - it's too big for cookies).

After I finish a card game I'm working on (this weekend), I'll consider doing one of these suggestions if it looks like there is enough interest to warrant it. I was already thinking of doing a baseball scorekeeping app (like an electronic scorecard). I'm afraid I don't know anything about golf, so the bowling app is the more likely bet. (Unless for golf all you want is date, holes, par, score, or maybe score/par per hole?)

Interested in hearing thoughts and suggestions on how to make niche apps like these work from an economic perspective. Perhaps putting a lot of these little things on one server and distributing the cost will work.

tmusante

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
On its way... I am an avid bowler myself and will have an app hopefully done in time for the Fall / Winter season coming up. I will make it for individual use and league use. I am also putting in an accounting portion to the league version. Let me know if you have any features you would want to see.

Thomas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.