Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuckrakerJG

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
This is a bit of a niche request but I'm looking to get a MBP for video editing for work but might also do some light gaming in FF XIV and perhaps a couple Twitch streams on the side.

FF XIV on the Mac is not super optimized. No official M1 support, it runs on Rosetta 2, and then the game itself is actually the Windows version of the game inside a WINE wrapper. So there will be basically two different types of emulation going on at the same time. Square Enix clearly has not placed a priority on Mac or M1 like Blizzard has with World of Warcraft, but hey, at least it's available.

Just curious to know how many frames you can get on high settings or even medium settings if you get the M1 Max with 32 Cores. I've played FF XIV on a M1 Mac mini and.. it wasn't amazing but I could get 30 to 40 frames on medium settings which is at least playable. Just wondering if the computer I might get anyway will offer high-end PC-like performance even with the emulation if I get the M1 Max with 32.

Thanks.

Reactions: Orionfox and Melotz

Orionfox

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2020
Would love to see this as well. Currently run-in on a 2918 Mac mini with a sonnet puck eGPU...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.