Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Let's see those SBSS series 0-3's with scratches. I'd like to know what they look like and how bad it could get. Also given you can't polish SBSS, how do people make their scratches less noticeable?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
It’s pretty hard to scratch. I’ve bashed mine around hitting them on my seat belt buckle and have a metal door frame smash into it. Not a single scratch on my S0 or S3 SBSS. I traded in the S3 when I got the S4. But here is a pic of the S0 that was just shoved in my desk drawer for the past two years and still looks good. I probably could have dusted it off to make it look new but eh.

Attachments

• BB4CCFB0-CAB2-4E62-AD00-22E46033D630.jpeg
    BB4CCFB0-CAB2-4E62-AD00-22E46033D630.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 564
Reactions: tromboneaholic

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a SS and just sold my SBSS... the regular stainless steel showed EVERY SINGLE SCRATCH. My space black one though... still looked brand new after a year. I loved the finish.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
People have been asking about this a lot recently. I made this short video of my launch-day S0 which has been worn continuously. When the sunlight plays down the side of the watch you can see it looks perfect:

The SB DLC is very effective in my experience.

bangak

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Alaska
So, looks like this fell off the radar with no photos of patina or scratches?

I can tell you that what I was doing to scratch my s4 DLC wouldn’t be too dissimilar to taking out the trash, going for a hike or picking your keys up off the ground. I was surprised it scratched so deeply and so easily. My guess is that there’s a difference in the DLC this year as it seems prior iterations were essentially bomb proof.

If you’re worried about any blemishes, be very carful. If I’m right, and the DLC is of lesser quality, I’d opt for bare stainless that I know for a fact wears beautifully and develops an awesome brushed look after a year or two.

I’m keeping my scratched SBSS and I’m embracing the post apocalyptic patina it’s likely going to take on in the next few months. I’ll share some photos then if you’re curious.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
So, looks like this fell off the radar with no photos of patina or scratches?

I can tell you that what I was doing to scratch my s4 DLC wouldn’t be too dissimilar to taking out the trash, going for a hike or picking your keys up off the ground. I was surprised it scratched so deeply and so easily. My guess is that there’s a difference in the DLC this year as it seems prior iterations were essentially bomb proof.

If you’re worried about any blemishes, be very carful. If I’m right, and the DLC is of lesser quality, I’d opt for bare stainless that I know for a fact wears beautifully and develops an awesome brushed look after a year or two.

I’m keeping my scratched SBSS and I’m embracing the post apocalyptic patina it’s likely going to take on in the next few months. I’ll share some photos then if you’re curious.

With all due respect, it looks like you tried to pick those keys up off the concrete WITH the watch. Maybe it’s the photo but with the apparent depth of the scratches I’m not at all surprised with how it looks. Regardless of the strength of the coating vs prior versions, you’ve gone into the steel which is the same as ever and it’s certainly not impenetrable.

bangak

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Alaska
With all due respect, it looks like you tried to pick those keys up off the concrete WITH the watch. Maybe it’s the photo but with the apparent depth of the scratches I’m not at all surprised with how it looks. Regardless of the strength of the coating vs prior versions, you’ve gone into the steel which is the same as ever and it’s certainly not impenetrable.
Yeah. It definitely contacted the ground, I don’t doubt that. But it was accidental and not at all perceivable when it happend.

Just a word of warning for those on the fence between SS and SBSS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.