Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Cant seem to find a compatible version of ThunderBird for Leopard anywhere. I know there is one, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
TenFourBird?! I had no clue such thing existed
As Cameron Kaiser refers to the developer, it comes "from our anonymous builder in the land of the Rising Sun."

Kaiser has no idea who builds it but the dev uses code from TenFourFox.

Reactions: Gamer9430

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Got TenFourBird all setup with my email accounts and stuff and it's working really well, much better than Apple Mail. Also, since it's FireFox based, I dropped in @eyoungren's tweaks. Don't really know if it's working, but hopefully so!

Reactions: eyoungren

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I haven't used a desktop mail app since around 2005 - what would you say the advantages are?
The fact that when Outlook for iOS doesn't work properly with iOS 10, I have a way to check my email ;)

On a more serious note, I like it because I don't have to go grab my phone when I get an email when I'm sitting at my desk. I can just alt/cmd tab over to my email app that's open in the background and check them quickly, then go right back to what I was doing.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I think the offline reading is the one feature that might tempt me back but I've been ok thus far, been using Gmail since 2005 (non java script version) - it's only another tab open whilst browsing.
Regarding smartphones, I have so much deactivated on mine, it's more like a dumbphone. Funny when you consider that as far back as 1999 I used to hack away at 1st gen WAP phones (Nokia 7110) to get push mail working!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
When I'm out and about I carry a "flip-phone" which I only turn on when I need to make a call. I actually purchased it only after I signed up for BCAA, figured it might be a good idea to have a way of contacting them if I did experience a roadside breakdown.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to spend a fortune on phones but when the iphone arrived, innovation faded away - I just can't get excited about yet another anonymous slab of gorilla glass and plastic...

Reactions: jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.