Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Looking for some real life pictures of the 12" and 15" PB (maybe something to help show the size). I'm trying to decide between the two, and I don't have quick access to an apple reseller. I couldn't find many good pics on ebay. From the ones I found of the 12", I thought it looked very squared (the screen), where as the 15 has a better look.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Ummm...straight ahead view of the screen showing keyboard too. Maybe in relation to something universal in size, such as a coke can (like the guy who posted the 17" pic in the other thread).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No pics for you, but one thing you could do - might seem stupid, maybe not - is make cardboard versions using the dimensions on the Apple site. Dumb as it might sound, it may help.

Essentially, the 12" is a cute little bugger, incredibly portable, with a smallish screen.

The 15" has a bigger, wider screen, weighs more, and is generally considered to be the best of the bunch in terms of size tradeoffs - but it costs a fair deal more.

thekid055

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2004
jsw said:
No pics for you, but one thing you could do - might seem stupid, maybe not - is make cardboard versions using the dimensions on the Apple site. Dumb as it might sound, it may help.

Essentially, the 12" is a cute little bugger, incredibly portable, with a smallish screen.

The 15" has a bigger, wider screen, weighs more, and is generally considered to be the best of the bunch in terms of size tradeoffs - but it costs a fair deal more.

Hmmm...yeah, I don't think so! Thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Thanks for the pics, kingsnapped! They definitely helped me picture the 15" better. As for JSW's suggestion...my cut out's not as good :)

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
I'd post pics of my 12 inch iBook (essentially the same size as the powerbook), but I lent my camera to my girlfriend for awhile since i accidently broke hers.

anyway, the 12 inch is really a tiny computer. like, tiny tiny. I love mine to death, but that's largely because I take it places a lot, and once school starts, i plan on lugging it around everywhere.
the 15 inch is a much more traditional sized laptop.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
jtgotsjets said:
the 15 inch is a much more traditional sized laptop.

Well, traditional it width and length. However, it's considerably thinner, and really light for a 15" notebook. most pc notebooks that are 15" weigh at least 7 lbs. Surprisingly enough, the 2 fewer pounds really does make a difference. After carrying my powerbook in my backpack for a long time, my friend's laptop seems really heavy.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
the 15" is significantly larger than the 3" size difference suggests. Better screen (wide aspect, i think 16:10?) DVD's still have a black line on top and bottom though. A poor distribution/arrangement of ports IMO, and many 15" owners as well. Signifcantly more unused space on the keyboard section. Can drive two monitors externally rather than just one (if you consider your TV another monitor).

12" is far more portable, as well as ultra-compact when you take into account all of it's features. Traditional aspect ratio screen. Superior port arrangement. Zero unused space on keyboard, KB is full-sized (same as 15"). No backlighting (which I hear is quite disappointing in actual use, but has the wow factor). Less powerful video, although it's plenty powerful IMO. Can only drive external monitor or TV out, not both at the same time.

12" is best if you have an extended desktop setup at home. 15" is a better desktop replacement (i.e. no external monitor, keyboard, mouse). although you will want a mouse for either.

Eomando

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
UK
a nice easy way to see the 12" from the 15" is probably to pinch those pics, and draw a straight line up either side of the keyboard - its the same keyboard on all the models, and the 12" is *just* as wide as the keyboard :)

I'd take pics of my 12", but stupid me has lost the usb cable to connect my camera... i'm a bit stuck until i get a new one :/

oh yes...and if you do try to imagine just the keyboard in that area...i think they're a little narrower from back to front too (the fronts about the width of my hands - and i've got small girl hands, before you panic if you're a guy with huge hands ;) )

Don't know if that's helpful or not though...

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Here's one I took for ya... I had a couple of others but the ISO setting on my camera was screwed up, and... meh. This one'll do.

Attachments

• Photo Library - 312.jpg
    Photo Library - 312.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 266

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
jsw said:

sadly, i did this. i still have the two cardboards. was quite surprised on how big the 15" appears to be. i thought i had cut a 17" instead. but no. it's quite a bit bigger. but i ended up with a 15" and i'm happy.

here are some pics of my baby: Gallery

happy choosing. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
brap said:
Here's one I took for ya... I had a couple of others but the ISO setting on my camera was screwed up, and... meh. This one'll do.

Is that the phone that, according to your sig, went through the spin cycle? I have no idea whether that's a T610 or not, but I spotted the SIM card :)

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Thanks guys for posting your pics! It helps alot, since I'm about 1.5 hrs away from the nearest reseller. I probably won't get the chance to see 'em person til next weekend on my trip home.

chrislee8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
NY, NY
Here is my 15" with my sony vaio z1rap with 14.1" screen if i remember right.

heavier than the sony, but i am happy with both machines.

15" is not that bad in weight, i carry both laptop to do my freelance work.

12" is very decent too. so it won't go wrong getting either one.

if u can afford more, then get 15", simple. :p

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 241
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.