Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backin7th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
This was very confusing and I finally figured it out so I wanted to share the news! I don’t have a passcode to unlock my phone every time, only after being locked for 4 hours. It suddenly started requiring a passcode after 1 hour, and I noticed the option for 4 hours was gone. After MUCH research, it turns out to have been because of an exchange mailbox I’ve added. I guess that having an exchange mailbox requires the security of your phone to be a bit tighter. So I removed the exchange mailbox and the “4 hours” option came back! Just wanted to share with anyone else who was having this seemingly bizarre experience.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This was very confusing and I finally figured it out so I wanted to share the news! I don’t have a passcode to unlock my phone every time, only after being locked for 4 hours. It suddenly started requiring a passcode after 1 hour, and I noticed the option for 4 hours was gone. After MUCH research, it turns out to have been because of an exchange mailbox I’ve added. I guess that having an exchange mailbox requires the security of your phone to be a bit tighter. So I removed the exchange mailbox and the “4 hours” option came back! Just wanted to share with anyone else who was having this seemingly bizarre experience.
That's something that's set by the administrator of your particular Exchange system. Exchange accounts on iOS allow a surprisingly wide range of control over the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.