Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macfield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Few days ago I successfully installed Mountain Lion 10.8.4 on a late 2007 MacBook.

Thought it would solve my issues with my phone no longer syncing in iTunes.

Turns out iOS 10 requires iTunes 12.5 and up, which is supported only on Yosemite and later OS's, so I'm going up to that.

Now I'm trying to update from ML to Mavericks using the newest version of MacPostFactor.

I think my question is simple.

The initial installation in MCPF where it creates the installer goes successfully. (By the way I'm NOT installing onto a USB, but can try it if you think it will help. I'm installing to a 2nd partition of my main HD.)

The software is then supposed to reboot my computer, which it does, and the OSXHACKERS logo is supposed to appear, then when it boots I'm supposed to click a few things to finish the process.

However, the OSXHACKERS logo does not appear, and it simply boots back into Mountain Lion. It does show my Mavericks (named MAV) partition under devices in the Finder, and it has three folders on it (Library, System and tmp).

That's it. Does anybody have a suggestion? Something seems to be going wrong at the end of the installation process. Should I try an older version of the software? I read they have some bugs...

Another question, I figured it's better to try Mavericks first before trying to install Yosemite (it runs the version of iTunes i need) but do you think I should just skip 10.9 and go straight to Yosemite? I'd still appreciate suggestions as this same problem may well happen when installing Yosemite if that's the case.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I've never used or loaded MacPostFactor, but do recall from a video that there are limits when attempting to install 10.9 Mavericks or 10.10 Yosemite.
Apparently you would get no graphics acceleration due to kexts not loading when using certain Mac models with unsupported graphics card. Those with NON-upgraded graphics include the GMA X3100 which your late 2007 Macbook appears to have.
Others more informed than myself hopefully should be along to explain in more detail.

Fwiw, on so many forums I've noted that Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion have repeatedly been voted as the most loved Mac OS. If it were me I'd stick with ML. In fact I plan to do just this on a PowerBook using MacPostFactor very soon.
[doublepost=1490354326][/doublepost]Here's a link that may help:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rted-macs-guide.1761432/page-54#post-24318564

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.