Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I have iPhone 7 with 32 GB Ram. I have to often attend meeting which may be 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 90 minutes. I need to download and install an app which will silence my my phone for 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 90 minutes, Currently I am using AutoSilent app for this purpose which I am not finding very satisfactory. I am requesting you to recommend an alternative solution to resolve this problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Shortcuts and automation (in relation to having DND enabled in association with calendar events or certain times) might be something else to look into.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why can’t you put your phone in Airplane Mode right before you walk into the meeting, and then turn it off afterward? Why do you need an app to accomplish the obvious that you can do yourself?
Well, there's certainly the aspect of needing to remember to do that and potential consequences if you forget to do it or undo it. We could all set an alarm every night or set DND or something else or that sort, yet those features have the ability to be scheduled on a repeated basis for practical reasons that we all accept and even expect.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well, there's certainly the aspect of needing to remember to do that and potential consequences if you forget to do it or undo it. We could all set an alarm every night or set DND or something else or that sort, yet those features have the ability to be scheduled on a repeated basis for practical reasons that we all accept and even expect.
True. The app could also fail to do its job at times as well.

I think it would help if the OP got in the habit of exercising consistent personal responsibility, that becomes a habit without need of an app. But, to each his or her own.

Reactions: TiggrToo

Abdulhaq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Why can’t you put your phone in Airplane Mode right before you walk into the meeting, and then turn it off afterward? Why do you need an app to accomplish the obvious that you can do yourself?
The problem is I invariably forget to turn it off afterwards. An app will turn the audio on automatically after the specified interval of time. I have used a similar app in the Android platform and it is an exremely useful app to have.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True. The app could also fail to do its job at times as well.

I think it would help if the OP got in the habit of exercising consistent personal responsibility, that becomes a habit without need of an app. But, to each his or her own.
Short of some type of built-in or automated functionality it seems like doing it manually and remembering to do it and undo it would likely be what it comes down to. But certainly similar to alarms or regular DND it would be that much more useful to have it available through something automatic that wouldn't need much of constant supervision.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
@Abdulhaq Here's a simple shortcut I cooked up for this:

You need to allow untrusted shortcuts from the Shortcuts settings to import this. Once imported you can either add it to your home screen, or locate it from the Shortcuts widget (I recommend the latter, that way it doesn't open the Shortcuts app).

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If you have entries for meetings in Calendar, DnD in Control Panel will show the meeting as an option for "until end of event".

Attachments

• IMG_0792.PNG
    IMG_0792.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.