Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Has anyone done any research using published articles in any publication regarding Mac being the industry standard in the world of design? The reason I ask is that a parent needs a great reason to buy their 19-year old a Mac who is an illustrator. He needs a portable and asked for a Mac Book Pro. She is not convinced so I offered up that I believe it would be useful for him to work in using OS X over Windows because if he lands a job in a design firm they will most likely use Macs. That is from personal experience, but she's asked for proof so I wondered if any academics around here have done any real research and care to post your sources.
:)

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I think it's just something that's common knowledge and not really documented anywhere.

However, I would suggest going to Monster.com and doing a search for illustrator/designer positions in your area.

I'm 100% sure that the majority will ask for Macintosh experience.

Print it out and show 'em that!

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
You can also make the claim that since you can install windows and Linux onto the new Macs this makes them very versatile, you will literally never have any compatibility issues. I think this is a huge selling point.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
You can also make the claim that since you can install windows and Linux onto the new Macs this makes them very versatile, you will literally never have any compatibility issues. I think this is a huge selling point.

You would think right? But when I said that and it was repeated, they countered with the idea that if her son needed windows then why not just buy the windows machine. I'm going to take the advice of the other poster and check monster. Poor kid just wants a mac! hah :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Can't point to any research but personally, in this past year, I've turned away 3 freelancers who use PCs. Too many problems, particularly with font incompatibilities and reflow. One of them, on the basis of our interview, went away and bought a Mac Pro...

Can't think of any major design firm here in the UK that would favour Windows machines at all. It might sound odd to the person demanding the 'proof' but in the print design business the Mac is the machine of the majority, by far.

Anyone using a PC isn't taken seriously at all and to be blunt, everything that comes in to us with a problem like artwork with no bleeds, RGB images, un-embedded fonts, web-res PDFs etc. seems to come from someone calling themselves a designer using a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.