Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Resellers Removing 12" and 17" PowerBook ads

Originally posted by Macrumors
Resellers are being asked to remove the 12" and 17" PowerBook ads by tomorrow.

So they'll have new ones on Thursday?

Interesting timing here - the last day of MWNY, and nothing new up there....kind of crappy if you ask me.

D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Resellers Removing 12" and 17" PowerBook ads

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
So they'll have new ones on Thursday?

Interesting timing here - the last day of MWNY, and nothing new up there....kind of crappy if you ask me.

D

The timing is right...

Joswiak's keynote is tomorrow.

arn

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Go MacRumors!

Great catch!

But strange... why would they want the ads removed if we were only getting a speed bump and/or an updated 15"?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: Resellers Removing 12" and 17" PowerBook ads

Originally posted by arn
The timing is right...

Joswiak's keynote is tomorrow.

Ah, for some strange reason I was thinking it was today - silly me.

Well, that is news then. Updating the whole line of PowerBooks would be quite welcome - although I'm really curious as to what processor they're going to be putting in there......can it be more than 1 GHz without being too hot?

D

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Now that's what I want to hear. I just sent my 17"pb back to amazon just in time to catch the end of the 30-day return period. I'll feel silly if nothing new comes out.

C'mon baby! Speed bumps! Daddy needs a new PowerBook.

M.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Re: Re: Re: Resellers Removing 12" and 17" PowerBook ads

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, for some strange reason I was thinking it was today - silly me.

Well, that is news then. Updating the whole line of PowerBooks would be quite welcome - although I'm really curious as to what processor they're going to be putting in there......can it be more than 1 GHz without being too hot?

D

it could be *gasp*

PowerBook G5! Year of the notebook... come on now... :D

1Ghz clock speeds... it could work!

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I don't understand. Why not the 15" ads?

And I wonder under what circumstances Apple asks resellers to pull ads. What is the significance of that? (As opposed to, for instance, just letting the resellers modify their ads after the products are introduced.)

This seems worthy of page 1 to me, assuming the information is totally reliable.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think they are being asked to remove them so that they can hang up pnes for the wohle powerbook line. the keys will b silver on the 15" as well as a backlight keyboard.
too bad i dont have the money.:(

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Let's not overeact, i doubt we'll get a G5, if we do ill soil my pants. But, what we can hope for is lower pricing on the 17 and fast processor in the 12 . And an AL 15".

edited so that i don't look stoopid ;)

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by astray
Let's not overeact, i doubt we'll get a G%, if we do ill soil my pants. But, what we can hope for is lower pricing on the 17 and fast processor in the 12 . And an AL 15".

I'd crap my pants if we got a G% too... who ever heard of introducing a new processor on top of a new processor.... odd indeed.

but a G5, I'd at least be ecstatic...

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
This is interesting. Maybe they will update the entire PowerBook line. I hope they at least update the 15-inch models. A lot of people are waiting for that. The timing would be right. Back-to-school season is right around the corner.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Amazon.com has dropped the price of the 12" combo drive to $1494 (after a $100 rebate). (At least I think this is new.)

A subtle but potentially meaningful point about this: You don't have to put it in your shopping cart to see this price. Normally, Apple sets minimum prices that its resellers can advertise, and that's why resellers with lower prices require you to put it in your shopping cart or call them to get the real price. This price is public. I think that means Apple has authorized it.

(The $100 rebate is for all three models. The 12" is the one I've been keeping track of.)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
May I ask...what ads? Like the more is more/less is more ads?

If this is true, it seems like a pretty good indication that PowerBooks are coming. As to the reason why no 15" ads have to be pulled-are there even 15" PowerBook ads? (unless I am misinterpreting the definition of an ad)

MacPrices.com is still showing the PowerBooks largely in stock, with only the high end 12" and 15" models out of stock in a few stores.

Pray.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Okay the 15"/whole powerbook line has to be updated. The 15" hasn't been updated in what? 10 months? I would certainly hope this means something, as Apple could just be making new ad campaigns or something.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
MacPrices.com is still showing the PowerBooks largely in stock, with only the high end 12" and 15" models out of stock in a few stores.

Maybe that's why a price drop may be taking effect (if the Amazon rebate I posted about above is a sign of a broader price drop). Note that the Amazon rebate is valid from 7/13 to 8/6, which might suggest either (1) Amazon is clueless about any updates, or (2) these models will still be available, but at a lower price, post-update.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
Okay the 15"/whole powerbook line has to be updated. The 15" hasn't been updated in what? 10 months? I would certainly hope this means something, as Apple could just be making new ad campaigns or something.

the 15" updated with just a speed bump in november. thart makes it 8 months. 10 month wait was the iPods:)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
ahh, but the iPod does not need an update as often as say... a computer.

true, but i think that they waited becasue they had something big up thier sleeve. the new iPods were compltely new cases. that's what i forgot to say;)

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
the 15" updated with just a speed bump in november. thart makes it 8 months. 10 month wait was the iPods:)

Ehh...what's the difference?:p

Edit: And aren't we waiting for a case revision to the PowerBook too? I'm not really even making a point I'm just making conversation to fill up time gaps.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Another great time for rumors!

I would be surprised to see the G5 in a PB before IBM moves to the .09 micron process, but there is a chance for speed bumps, if Moto finally has their act together - or IBM is providing a G4 based chip that is faster and cheaper.

The surprise I would like to see is DUAL G4's in the 17" and, hopefully, in the 15". That would be a first and drive the WinTel laptop makers nuts! ("Get a dual Dude . . .")

I think pulling ads is more related to price changes, along with the speed bumps, plus the Al packaging for the 15".

I'm saving my pennies for the G5 sometime in 2004. I'm going to need the time to save enough to get one.

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
Well,

They might be announced.. but they will not ship for a while yet.
So, While I'm gonna plunk down my plastic the picosecond they are available to order, I'm not expecting to get my damn dirty paws on one till at least sept.

Sad but true.

But hey, here's praying the fuity chaos gods that I'm wrong.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
Ehh...what's the difference?:p

Edit: And aren't we waiting for a case revision to the PowerBook too? I'm not really even making a point I'm just making conversation to fill up time gaps.

we may be waiting for only a case revision, but if that were the case (no pun intended) then they probably would have rolled that out with the 12" and 17" PowerBooks as well. it would only make sense. but there has to be some reason they didn't update it.

I am on the bleeding edge of sanity here, but I think it's possible that they waited cause the G5 was right around the corner. but this still does not explain why the hell they would let the 15" lag behind so damn much. That's what I love about Apple, they keep us all guessing when some things just seem like a no brainer... kudos to them for that. Them and Nintendo I swear. yeesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.