Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Hey all.

So with my X coming tomorrow I am going to resell my 7 plus MB. It has a damaged screen that I didn't fix for the past month knowing my X was coming. The question is should I resell with the damaged screen or spend the $150 at Apple and get it repaired first for a higher purchase price?

What do you think one with broken screen is worth vs with a good screen? Worth the $150?

Aside from the screen its 100% working order. No AppleCare.

Mjsavage

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Atlanta GA
There are 3rd party places that replace screens much cheaper then Apple. Look where selling to see what working phones are priced compared to ones with cracked screens.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you repair it with a third party screen, you need to disclose that to a potential buyer. Apple won’t touch a phone with a third party screen. So the new buyer couldn’t even pay an OOW fee replacement if they broke the device.

Reactions: travis64

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If you’re looking to try to make as much money as possible then I think you definitely need to replace the screen. Anyone looking to buy a phone with damage like that will be expecting a steep discount... more than it would cost them to get the screen repaired. No one is going to give you $150 less than they would pay for an unbroken phone because at that point they may as well just buy the unbroken one... they’re going to want more of a discount. Additionally there are a lot of people who wouldn’t even consider buying a broken phone, so you’ll have a smaller pool of potential buyers.

However, there’s also the consideration that it will cost you some time and effort to go to apple and get the screen repaired. If you just want to get the phone sold and be done with it, then price it at maybe $200 less than an unbroken phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.