Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delmar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Texas
I just bought a iPad 4 that is running iOS 6.1.3 & I want to erase it. I am not restoring through iTunes. Will I be able to erase the iPad without being forced to update the iOS? I'm determined to not ruin this iPad with iOS 8.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I'm trying the same thing with an iPhone 5. I think you have to download the ipsw firmware for the ipad 4 from a third party site, hit option when you hit the restore button in iTunes and reload the firmware for 6.1.3.

In my case I think this is what I have to do in order to restore from an older iphone back up that was still running ios6.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I just bought a iPad 4 that is running iOS 6.1.3 & I want to erase it. I am not restoring through iTunes. Will I be able to erase the iPad without being forced to update the iOS? I'm determined to not ruin this iPad with iOS 8.

Yes: go to settings>general>reset>reset all content and settings

This erases all content and settings, and then brings you to the iOS 6 set up screen.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I'm trying the same thing with an iPhone 5. I think you have to download the ipsw firmware for the ipad 4 from a third party site, hit option when you hit the restore button in iTunes and reload the firmware for 6.1.3.

In my case I think this is what I have to do in order to restore from an older iphone back up that was still running ios6.

It wouldn't be possible to restore a downloaded ispw firmware with iOS 6, unless you have a device running 6.1.6 that cannot update any further. Apple will only allow restores on iTunes to the latest software. The only way to reset to factory settings without losing the iOS 6 firmware is to do it within the iOS device ONLY.
All iTunes restores go through apple and apple stopped signing iOS 6 a long time ago.

Daviddeteo

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Apple force to update to lastest ios. And apple unsigned older ios except ios 7.1.2 for iphone 4, ios 6.1.6 for 3gs and ipod touch 4g, ios 5.1.1 for ipod touch 3 and ipad 1, ios 4.2.1 for iphone 3g and ipod touch 2g, and iphone os 3.1.3 for iphone 2g and ipod touch 1g

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes: go to settings>general>reset>reset all content and settings

This erases all content and settings, and then brings you to the iOS 6 set up screen.
This should take care of it without any firmeware changes or anything like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.