Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

encrecnt7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer:

I have an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.3.3. I'm trying to stay away from any iOS 11 release, since it stills seems a bit unstable. On my current iOS version I'm experiencing a few annoying bugs, but I think a reset will probably squash them.

I'm looking for a way to reset my iPhone (all settings and contents) and then, still on iOS 10.3.3, revert to a backup - made prior to the reset.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I remember that a few years ago, when I had my iPhone 6, I reset it on iTunes and it automatically updated to the latest iOS version.

If someone could give me, maybe, a step-by-step tutorial on how to achieve this, I would be very thankful!

Kind regards :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello everyone!

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer:

I have an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.3.3. I'm trying to stay away from any iOS 11 release, since it stills seems a bit unstable. On my current iOS version I'm experiencing a few annoying bugs, but I think a reset will probably squash them.

I'm looking for a way to reset my iPhone (all settings and contents) and then, still on iOS 10.3.3, revert to a backup - made prior to the reset.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I remember that a few years ago, when I had my iPhone 6, I reset it on iTunes and it automatically updated to the latest iOS version.

If someone could give me, maybe, a step-by-step tutorial on how to achieve this, I would be very thankful!

Kind regards :)
Your best and perhaps only shot to do it without updating would be to use the erase content and reset settings option in iOS settings (on the phone itself).

Last edited:

Chuck Kostalnick

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Denver, Colorado
Hi Encrecnt,

The good news is, you're able to do this without using iTunes, as long as you're able to use iCloud to backup. Due to iTunes being update happy, my personal recommendation for both ease of use and lowest risk is iCloud. Below are steps you should take to ensure a smooth and easy backup/reset/restore process.

1. Begin an iCloud Backup - Go to Settings and begin an iCloud backup as step 1 to get started on this, as it may take awhile.
2. Verify your Apple ID Password is correct - Go to id.apple.com and log in. Verify that this is the same exact Apple ID that you're using to back up your device. This may seem like a silly step, but when was the last time you actually double checked this? ^.^
3. Wait for your iCloud backup to complete.
4. Navigate to the Settings > General > Reset section, and choose "Erase all Content and Settings"
5. After the reset completes, restore from iCloud.

Best of luck, and let me know if you have any questions while going through the process!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.