Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Has anyone else had to reset their network settings after the 5.1 update? I've seen this problems on 3 phones now, two iPhone 4s and one iPhone 4S, all on AT&T. After the 5.1 update the phones weren't staying connected to the data network, whether it be 3G or "4G." After resetting the network settings that problem has gone away. However I still find myself having to restart my phone to get a good data connection, even though it shows 4G and full bars. Basically what will happen is my phone will seem pretty slow so I try a Speedtest. It is either very very slow or can't even start the test because it can't connect to a server. So then I restart my phone and run a test and it's actually getting very good speeds in the 3-5 Mbps area.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is having this problem since the update.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Has anyone else had to reset their network settings after the 5.1 update? I've seen this problems on 3 phones now, two iPhone 4s and one iPhone 4S, all on AT&T. After the 5.1 update the phones weren't staying connected to the data network, whether it be 3G or "4G." After resetting the network settings that problem has gone away. However I still find myself having to restart my phone to get a good data connection, even though it shows 4G and full bars. Basically what will happen is my phone will seem pretty slow so I try a Speedtest. It is either very very slow or can't even start the test because it can't connect to a server. So then I restart my phone and run a test and it's actually getting very good speeds in the 3-5 Mbps area.

have not had any problem on my iPhone 4...just tested and I got 5.25 Mbps in SF...consistent and strong connection w/ no need to reset network settings.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
There's another thread on a similar problem with posters saying perhaps it's the current solar flares that are disrupting wireless ... a scenario that is entirely possible.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
There's another thread on a similar problem with posters saying perhaps it's the current solar flares that are disrupting wireless ... a scenario that is entirely possible.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks

mx77m1

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
I'm having to reset my iphone 4s network settings more often than I ever had to with my older iPhone. I've noticed it when I try to access apps that use Internet to pull in data like a flight status. Also, there have been times when maps will not locate and get message 'unable to connect'. Usually a network reset in settings does the trick for these issues, but it's getting frustrating... So not sure if it's iOS related or app related. Anyone have any updates?

Abdull.83

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013

Am having exactly the same issue. Like suddenly dies and have to put phone on airplane mode n back on.

This start happening after the new update with the 2100 mhz 5.1 update from optus!!!!!

Dnt knw why?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.