Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanzblume

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
I have observed one interest issue.
I'm using iCloud Keychain for all my devices (iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac mini and iPhone). I have noticed following thing. If I reset the iPhone settings all my devices are deleting the wireless passwords from iCloud Keychain and disconnecting from current wireless connections.

This happens everytime. Has anyone else noticed this too?

tanzblume

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks. It seems I'm not alone.
Do you think it's a bug or should it be like it's work?
I'm not glad with this, I just wanna reset my iPhone only not disconnect all my devices.

Perhaps I have to sign of from iCloud Keychain before. After the resetting I can login again.
But it feels not good.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yes its super annoying and i dont understand why it does this if the passwords r saved in keychain ... always been like that tho

tanzblume

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
I think I understand what happen.
Normally the reset should wipe the iPhone settings to default. In this case wireless connections will disconnected.

With iCloud Keychain there is no normal wipe. The wireless connections will deleted. But this change will written to iCloud Keychain. At this moment all saved wireless passwords will erased.

Apple has to change it. A workaround could be, first sign off from iCloud Keychain and then reset the settings. I think that would prevent the problem.

I will report this as a bug.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I don't think this is a bug. If you're using iCloud Keychain then all that info is stored across all devices. If you delete/reset from one device, all devices lose that info. It's just like iCloud Photo Library....delete a photo from one device, it's deleted across all devices. It's doing what it's supposed to do. As stated in the previous post, disable iCloud Keychain on that specific device, then reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.