Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uzumi99

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
So I wanted to downgrade back to iOS14 after I noticed that 15 on X was kinda choppy. Apps were opening slowly and crashing at times. So after backing up my phone and getting ready to download iOS14.8. I noticed it was not signed, meaning there was no clearance to install it anymore. Well now with my settings reset it was kinda annoyed that all my settings were not the way I wanted them to be. Either way after using the phone for a couple of days I’ve noticed that everything is working way smoother now. You might wanna give it a try if you’re having the same problems. Just remember to back up everything and maybe take some notes of your most important settings.

Reactions: russell_314

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
On a similar note:
I set up an iPhone from a backup and soon developed all kinds of problems- even Wi-Fi wasn’t working properly.
With nothing to lose since this phone had become unusable, I wiped it and set it up as factory new (not from a backup) and since then it’s been working fine.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think it’s a good idea to start over from new with a new phone or even reset your existing one occasionally. Always always have back ups. If your pictures are really important to you don’t consider iCloud as a backup. Have them on a physical drive somewhere if possible. I’ve lost important pictures because I thought they were backed up on iCloud. That was totally my fault of course.

But back to the resetting think of it like a computer and if you kept upgrading the operating system without ever starting from new. I think Mac and iOS users have just taken that is the normal thing to do but it doesn’t always work perfectly. In the Windows world most knowledgeable people would never recommend this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As of this moment, my iPhone 11 Pro Max (my current iPhone) is using a profile that started in late 2011 with an iPhone 3GS. It migrated to an iPhone 5, then an iPhone 6+ and to a 6s+. For a year and a half it saw use on a Pixel 3a XL through a transfer and then back to the 11 PM through a transfer. iMessage picked up from mid-2019 where I'd left it.

I've never had any trouble - even during jailbreaking for several years.

But, I don't use my phones as computers and I don't store anything on my devices (long term) that I don't want to lose. I think as well, the fact that I always get the highest capacity Apple offers, allows me to avoid any low storage problems. I don't use iPhoto, all my photos go to the Camera Uploads folder in Dropbox which automatically places them on all my Dropbox equipped Macs and PCs. All my email is IMAP and my contacts are on Google.

Any backups on the device are simply for app and system preferences. In short, as I've said here many times, I could lose all my data on my device tomorrow and it'd either be backed up already or totally unimportant.

As to the specific subject of this thread, both my 11PM, my 6s+ and my 6th Gen iPad are running iOS 15 and I haven't had any issues with slowness or anything else.

My digital life, such as it is, is stored on my Macs - not my iPhones/iPad. And those are backed up nightly to my NAS and weekly to Dropbox as sparse disk images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.