Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
My fan has been acting funny recently and I have reason to believe that resetting the SMC might fix the problem. (see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319)

Will resetting the SMC affect anything (hardware or software) except for the power management functions? I'm not sure what is meant by "returning hardware to default settings" as the article linked to above states:

"Performing an SMC reset returns the hardware, including NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory), to default settings and forces the computer to shut down"

Thanks!

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Before you reset the SMC make sure there is nothing else that can be tried. Have you checked the boot rom verision (EFI Firmware)? It could need an update. If no updates are requried and your fan is running funny you can reset the SMC. I have done it on multiple Macs and never noticed any problems with hardware compatibility after performing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.