Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Greetings

In December 2019 I bought a Resident Audio T4 interface, with the aim of using it with Garageband and perhaps Logic, one day. Owing to a certain pandemic, I was unable to take delivery of the unit until yesterday.

Sadly, Resident Audio aren't providing driver support beyond macOS 10.14 (I knew this at time of ordering), I guess because they didn't want to invest in 64-bit drivers.

The unit itself is actually well built and works great - once you downgrade the OS to 10.14 on a Mac with Thunderbolt 2.

I was a Mac Genius in a previous life - I have no issues taking this type of equipment apart, so I decided to do exactly that. I was intrigued by the silicon used on the circuit board. Interestingly, the manufacturer has sanded / scratched off the main IC that runs the show. I did spot Thunderbolt chips, but the actual I/O processing wasn't identifiable (to me anyway).

Seeing as the manufacturer hasn't brought any new products in a few years, I may reach out and ask for the kernel extension source code and see what can be done with it. With the right adapter, this nice bit of kit can be supported by newer Macs with TB3.

FireArse

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7597.jpeg
    IMG_7597.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.