Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

here4truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Planning on buying Resident Evil 4 to play on Mac 3m pc. Couple questions

Do you have to have a Cloud connection to play game? I choose not to use the cloud as backup.

After downloading game and adding steam can you play game directly through Apple or do you have to use a third party like "crossover" to manage game? I thought Dec. 20 Apple came out and said RE-4 once purchased can be played directly through Apple/Steam.

Lastly, I'm using mouse and keyboard and not hand control device. Can you enjoy game using mouse/keyboard and is it possible to configure mouse via either RE-4 set up or through steam?

Reactions: Irishman

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
The Mac version is sold only on the App Store. I don't think you need a cloud connection, and it supports mouse & keyboard.

here4truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Thanks galad. Hoping Mac with M3 chip opens up more AAA games. It's about time.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The Cloud save is optional. Whenever you save a game, it saves local to the device you are playing on. Only after you go back to the game's starting screen, you enter the Cloud save section where you can manage to upload / download / overwrite saves to the iCloud folder on your Mac, the created folder actually sits inside Finder iCloud Drive so it will actually appear on all synced devices, but only when you load it inside RE4 app on a device that the save will get used there.

I don't think you need to be connected at all in order to play, but the initial purchase has to be done as an in-app purchase, after the App Store download (which is "free", it acts as a locked demo). You may still have to connect to Capcom server to see the Mercenaries mode leader board I guess but you can play offline.

KB & mouse is one way to play, some people really prefer it even due to the accuracy of shooting vs controller. But this game is more action orientated than being a shooter, using a controller gives you closer experience as the original(s) IMO. Just don't play with a trackpad lol.

I got absolutely amazing visuals on an M3 Max base 16". Whether playing it internally on the 16" screen or outputting to an LG OLED TV, my cousin who has been playing the PS5 version everyday commented the Mac version looks noticbly better, with higher and more stable FPS as well.

Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.