Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello
I am currently trying to make the partition Odin which is at 2TB to fill the entire 4TB disk and its free space, which resulted from me erasing its original second one. However, it does not seem that I am able to expand the partition so that it is taking up the 4TB because dragging on the size setting does nothing but shrink the volume, the opposite of what I want.

I want to know if there is anyway that I can resize the partition so that I can use the full disk without losing the data that is stored on the partition named Odin?
Odin is backed up through Time Machine to Kali also, so the files are backed up just in case but I would much rather not delete the files on Odin.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 12.18.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 12.18.50 AM.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 171

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can never expand partitions on the bottom (like Odin) up into the empty space. You can only expand down.

So what you need to do is add a partition back up top, then use Disk Utilities restore feature to restore Odin to the new partition up top. Then delete Odin and expand the one up top to fill the now empty space in the bottom.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
You can never expand partitions on the bottom (like Odin) up into the empty space. You can only expand down.

So what you need to do is add a partition back up top, then use Disk Utilities restore feature to restore Odin to the new partition up top. Then delete Odin and expand the one up top to fill the now empty space in the bottom.
Thanks Weaselboy, as always with the good information! That is what I wound up doing and it has about 9 hours remaining. Going to mark this as resolved now then.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.