Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
I'm using MBP retina early 2015 high sierra. I'm trying to install windows 8.1 through boot camp. After following all the instructions (i.e. specifying iso path, partition size, downloaded support files automatically etc) in boot camp assistant, when the machines restarts to install windows, the machine reboots into OSX instead of windows. When I checked the bootcamp partition in disk utility, it says used space is 71MB and nearly the full partition size is free. The used space I think is consumed by the windows support files.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201457

Please can anyone advise what could be wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot at Aug 28 07-35-16.png
    Screenshot at Aug 28 07-35-16.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 338

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm using MBP retina early 2015 high sierra. I'm trying to install windows 8.1 through boot camp. After following all the instructions (i.e. specifying iso path, partition size, downloaded support files automatically etc) in boot camp assistant, when the machines restarts to install windows, the machine reboots into OSX instead of windows. When I checked the bootcamp partition in disk utility, it says used space is 71MB and nearly the full partition size is free. The used space I think is consumed by the windows support files.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201457

Please can anyone advise what could be wrong?
I do not know if my experience can help you or not.
My Macbook was too old for any Windows newer than Windows 7.
Therefore, besides downloading the Apple Support Files for Windows through BootCamp in a USB stick, I partitioned with Disk Utility the inner HD and formatted one part in NTFS.
Then I used a DVD with a .iso of Windows 8.1 and the Mac booted and installed (with a lot of time and patience) Windows in that NTFS partition.
( I had made several DVDs with Win 8.1. and only one booted, do not know why).
In this way I managed to install Windows 8.1 and used the Apple support files to have most of the hardware working.
I then upgraded to Windows 10 and used some windows driver tools to find updated drivers where some hardware still made problems.
One must be cautious however with those windows driver tools since not all their recommended drivers work as they should.
On several occasions I had to repeat the whole installation procedure after having installed a wrong driver and losing for instance WiFi.
So, with a lot of patience and time it is still possible to have Windows 8.1 or 10 (even in an old Mac) in cases in which the BootCamp assistent is not fully working to help us.
Ed

jj1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2018
Thank you everyone. The issue is resolved now and I have installed 8.1 in bootcamp.

I did a clean sierra install. Earlier I tried to change boot camp's info.plist file to view some old options which are not there now in high sierra. I think I messed up bca because of this and that was the reason for my issue above.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you everyone. The issue is resolved now and I have installed 8.1 in bootcamp.

I did a clean sierra install. Earlier I tried to change boot camp's info.plist file to view some old options which are not there now in high sierra. I think I messed up bca because of this and that was the reason for my issue above.
Please write (RESOLVED) in the title of this thread.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.