Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I updated to Mojave, on my 2009 4,1 (5,1-firmware flashed) Mac Pro, and I can no longer boot into my separate Windows 10 disk. At boot-up, the screen remains black and no progress is made. (I don't have a flashed card, so I cannot check for any activity.)

A recent article mentioned that a specific model / configuration of iMac will no longer have Bootcamp support, under Mojave, but that doesn't make much sense. For one, Bootcamp is NOT a necessary tool for installing Windows. (In fact, I never used it when installing Windows on my Mac Pro.) What could a Bootcamp incompatibility have to do with Windows, in any of itself, running on a Mac? Secondly, nothing should be holding my Mac Pro back from booting into Windows—if, indeed, there's somehow a preventative force for installing Windows on certain Macs—because it's not listed as incompatible. This must be some odd glitch...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Edit: looks like a sporadic Windows update was compromising the boot procedure and leaving me with that black screen. On the third try, I was finally met with a sign of life, from Windows: an update-progress screen. Following a restart, it was fine and dandy—it booted to my desktop.

How did I not guess that Windows was behind pain and suffering (as usual)?

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.