Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Hello internet peeps,

**Resolved 9/22/2022 - Re-paired iwatch resolved the issue

**Update 9/21/2022 (Preliminary RCA - appears to be pairing corruption or watchOS 9 bug on Series 5 iWatch)

I’m struggling to figure out this problem after upgrading from iPhone 13 Pro Max to iPhone 14 Pro Max.

My calendar (background activity) utilization is insanely high! I’ve run out of ideas on next steps and my battery is draining quickly.

Steps taken:
1. Removed all calendars (exchange, gmail, icloud) and restarted the device. Results = calendar background activity still high
2. Logged out of iCloud account and restarted device. Results = same high background activity
3. Changed from ‘Push’ to ‘Fetch’ for all accounts and changed frequency to ‘Manual’. Results = same high background activity
4. Removed calendar widgets and restarted device. Results = same high background activity
5. Unchecked ‘Other’ calendars in Calendar app (e.g. Birthdays, holidays, Siri suggestions) and restarted device. Results = same high background activity
6. Deleted custom lock screens that leveraged calendar widgets and restarted device. Results = same high background activity.
7. Closed Calendar app on iWatch as well. Results = same high background activity.

Any troubleshooting apps I can install to see what function is running in background? Any other ideas?

TIA

Attachments

• E6A72D4A-5060-49B1-B2AB-F0BBE88BB119.jpeg
    E6A72D4A-5060-49B1-B2AB-F0BBE88BB119.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 3809AB80-A0C9-4890-9EE3-DA244AB5370D.jpeg
    3809AB80-A0C9-4890-9EE3-DA244AB5370D.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Issue persisting…anyone know how to stop calendar background activity? I don’t see calendar as an option in background app refresh.

Last edited:

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Do you have an app that is using Calendar to populate? I wonder if that could be it?
Good thought! Just checked privacy and only app leveraging calendar was the Apple Store app. Just removed and will monitor.

I sure hope this is it!

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Do you have an app that is using Calendar to populate? I wonder if that could be it?
Update. Unfortunately, still high background activity from the Calandar app.

Anyone aware of what tool to leverage to dbl click into what’s process/function is running in the calendar app?

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Not using widgetsmith are you? I had issues as soon as I installed it and had to delete it to stop it draining.
I am not. Thanks for the reaponse!

I wonder if it’s my smart stack config on home screen. I have widget suggestions turned on and just selected for it to not suggest calendar any longer. It has to be something silly like this.

Will see if that makes a difference. I’m stuck if this doesn’t help.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I am not. Thanks for the reaponse!

I wonder if it’s my smart stack config on home screen. I have widget suggestions turned on and just selected for it to not suggest calendar any longer. It has to be something silly like this.

Will see if that makes a difference. I’m stuck if this doesn’t help.
I have the calendar for today's in a widget and it does not seem to be using a lot of background refresh. However, I also have like no events in there and use it mainly for birthdays.

Reactions: Hello4x

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
First, you screenshot shows that Calendar was the most active app, but what do you see if you click "Show battery Usage"? It's possible to have a very active app that uses very little battery.

I assume you have not tried deleting the calendar app from your phone?
Or is it still installed? If you haven't tried it yet, delete the app from your phone, restart, then reinstall it from the app store.

What does the screens at these places look like?
Settings > Calendar look like?
Settings > Privacy & Security > Calendars
Settings > ail > Accounts

Reactions: Hello4x

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
First, you screenshot shows that Calendar was the most active app, but what do you see if you click "Show battery Usage"? It's possible to have a very active app that uses very little battery.

I assume you have not tried deleting the calendar app from your phone?
Or is it still installed? If you haven't tried it yet, delete the app from your phone, restart, then reinstall it from the app store.

What does the screens at these places look like?
Settings > Calendar look like?
Settings > Privacy & Security > Calendars
Settings > ail > Accounts
Thanks and great suggestions!

**Update Thought I located fix but that didn’t work.

I honestly didn’t know you could delete a standard Apple app like Calendar (I know you couldn’t some time ago). Will try this now and update forum accordingly.

Attached battery utilization over 8 days.

TIA

Attachments

• C54EF16E-043A-48F1-BFD2-3CC192027A53.jpeg
    C54EF16E-043A-48F1-BFD2-3CC192027A53.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
Thanks and great suggestions!

**Update Thought I located fix but that didn’t work.

I honestly didn’t know you could delete a standard Apple app like Calendar (I know you couldn’t some time ago). Will try this now and update forum accordingly.

Attached battery utilization over 8 days.

TIA
So still making progress….

Removed Calendar app from phone and iwatch. Ironically two hours later I received a few notification events on my iwatch (Calendar app uninstalled), which makes me think something was cached or broken through iwatch and phone pairing. My phone still shows ‘recently deleted app’ still utilizing resources…. I went ahead and unpaired my watch and reset it.

Will update later on progress. May install Calendar app back on phone during next hour interval and run without iwatch for few hours (fault isolation).

Attachments

• 53184C0E-B572-4A45-B19B-A8D2DBA2CAA2.jpeg
    53184C0E-B572-4A45-B19B-A8D2DBA2CAA2.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 124

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
So still making progress….

Removed Calendar app from phone and iwatch. Ironically two hours later I received a few notification events on my iwatch (Calendar app uninstalled), which makes me think something was cached or broken through iwatch and phone pairing. My phone still shows ‘recently deleted app’ still utilizing resources…. I went ahead and unpaired my watch and reset it.

Will update later on progress. May install Calendar app back on phone during next hour interval and run without iwatch for few hours (fault isolation).
So problem definitely appears to be iwatch pairing or watchOS 9 (series 5) bug. Everything is running smoothly after iwatch unpairing and reinstalling the Calendar app on iPhone. Going to re-pair watch in a cpl hours and monitor.

TIA

Hello4x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2022
So problem definitely appears to be iwatch pairing or watchOS 9 (series 5) bug. Everything is running smoothly after iwatch unpairing and reinstalling the Calendar app on iPhone. Going to re-pair watch in a cpl hours and monitor.

TIA
Resolved!!!! Re-pairing the iwatch seemed to address the issue. Calendar is now only running 1-5m (if any in the background) in the background.

Consequently, battery life is a lot better.

TIA!

Reactions: PhatRS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.