Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Today I decided to fire up my High Sierra public Beta 3 installation and maybe play around with it and update it. I have not used this installation for at least 2 weeks, but is was working OK when last used.
Long story-short, the boot-up stalled and looked like the image below.

IMG_0229.jpg

I've never before seen this pinwheel appear along with the loading bar.
After several more failed attempts I erased the partition and reinstalled High Sierra from my original
install USB thumb drive which worked fine for the original installation.
The result was the same, stalled boot-up with the pinwheel, which BTW also stops rotating.
I also run El Capitan and Sierra on this Mac Pro with no issues whatsoever.

MacPro3,1 - 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core - 8GB ram

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Solved the problem, seems that High Sierra does not agree with the Apple 5770 video card I had installed awhile back.
Pulled it and put the original ATI HD 2600 back and all is as it was again.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Yes. It seems the HS installer does NOT like GPUs other than the HD2600 XT and the nVidia 8800. I've tried the 4870, 5870 and 6870 and they all show that spinner in the progress bar. It looks like GPU GLdriver bundle is causing the issue but who knows whether Apple will ever fix the issue—they do know about it.

Reactions: rosuna

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes. It seems the HS installer does NOT like GPUs other than the HD2600 XT and the nVidia 8800. I've tried the 4870, 5870 and 6870 and they all show that spinner in the progress bar. It looks like GPU GLdriver bundle is causing the issue but who knows whether Apple will ever fix the issue—they do know about it.
Glad to hear I'm not alone on this issue, thanks for the information.

Reactions: rosuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.