Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Hi there,

purchased in 2012 the first iPad retina and upgraded one day to IOS7.4.1 - Still happy with it and I do not want to upgrade at the moment, preferring bugs and slowness.

MY PROBLEM:

If I recall corretly, one day some years ago the app- application disappeared because of a changement of licensing by apple. There was a warning and then it disappeared, perhaps when upgrading from IOS6 to 7..

Well, since I did not purchase things in the apple store, for a long time I didn´t care.
BUT now, I want to upgrade some apps and purchase one or another - and I am logically unable to do it because there isn´t the App Store app no more.

I do regularly backups/sync on my MBP (OSX 10.8.5) , but there aren´t old backups of the iPad with IOS6 or with the app-store- application of that time (used the iPad not much at that time).

But I own two iPhones 5 with still IOS 7.4.1 on it.

So my QUESTIONS ARE:

1) Can I get just the App Store-app somewhere without being obliged to upgrade to higher IOS?
2) Or could I just a new backup wipe the iPad and restore just the IOS 7 (both with full functioning app-Store application on them) of one of my iPhones with all the content on it on my iPad? That would be perhaps the most easy way to do.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The App Store should always be there. Perhaps it got turned off in restrictions? If not and it's truly not there (not hidden in some folder or anything like that) then something isn't quite right. Assuming you are not jailbroken (which can come with its own host of things) then you might want to try resetting all settings to see if that might bring it back.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
The App Store should always be there. Perhaps it got turned off in restrictions? If not and it's truly not there (not hidden in some folder or anything like that) then something isn't quite right. Assuming you are not jailbroken (which can come with its own host of things) then you might want to try resetting all settings to see if that might bring it back.

Thank you very much for your answer.

1) No, I remember well that apple did change their terms of licensing just before, during or just after I upgraded from IOS 6 to IOS 7 every customer had to agree with the new license agreement and to click "agree" or "later" or so - maybe it was round about 2013? Then one day it has disappeared. Since at that time I did never open it (never purchased something, but later I upgraded free apps by using the app store) on my iPhones and on my MBP without any problem) I got aware of this very late. Used the iPad for years nearly exclusively as GUI for my SONOS-system and just for surfing sometimes, that´s all. And since this is a WiFI/Cellular iPad I appreciate surfing when I am not at home with the retina display.

2) My apple-ID works still very well on every OTHER apple-gear: my MBP, on each of my iPhones, so no problem with apple.
Since I have still never used my credit card in the app-store, criminals would not even get a cent from me. They'd be very disappointed.. :D and there was NO single information that someone did use/try to use my app-store-ID
I can confirm you : The app-store application REALLY isn´t there any more.
But I have to upgrade my Sonos-app for listening to my music on my NAS … and I want to listen to Deezer (they offer now even full-scale-transmission FLAC) not only on my other apple gear but also on my iPad…

Well - the worst case would be to upgrade the IOS, but now I´d be forced to upgrade too IOS 9.xx and I want to prevent this because this iPad has "only" a A5x processor (which still works flawlessly and the iPad still runs smoothly under IOS7.4.1) and I am concerned about slowness under IOS9… (not talking about the bugs still existing)…

So - could I "restore" just the all the content of one of my two iPhones onto the iPad?
Would that be possible?

Thanks for your input

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you very much for your answer.

1) No, I remember well that apple did change their terms of licensing just before, during or just after I upgraded from IOS 6 to IOS 7 every customer had to agree with the new license agreement and to click "agree" or "later" or so - maybe it was round about 2013? Then one day it has disappeared. Since at that time I did never open it (never purchased something, but later I upgraded free apps by using the app store) on my iPhones and on my MBP without any problem) I got aware of this very late. Used the iPad for years nearly exclusively as GUI for my SONOS-system and just for surfing sometimes, that´s all. And since this is a WiFI/Cellular iPad I appreciate surfing when I am not at home with the retina display.

2) My apple-ID works still very well on every OTHER apple-gear: my MBP, on each of my iPhones, so no problem with apple.
Since I have still never used my credit card in the app-store, criminals would not even get a cent from me. They'd be very disappointed.. :D and there was NO single information that someone did use/try to use my app-store-ID
I can confirm you : The app-store application REALLY isn´t there any more.
But I have to upgrade my Sonos-app for listening to my music on my NAS … and I want to listen to Deezer (they offer now even full-scale-transmission FLAC) not only on my other apple gear but also on my iPad…

Well - the worst case would be to upgrade the IOS, but now I´d be forced to upgrade too IOS 9.xx and I want to prevent this because this iPad has "only" a A5x processor (which still works flawlessly and the iPad still runs smoothly under IOS7.4.1) and I am concerned about slowness under IOS9… (not talking about the bugs still existing)…

So - could I "restore" just the all the content of one of my two iPhones onto the iPad?
Would that be possible?

Thanks for your input
There are certainly times when terms of device would update and the like, but that wouldn't get rid of something like the App Store app itself as it's basically built-in into the OS itself. If you definitely can't find it (even by doing a spotlight search for it), the only circumstances I can imagine the app not actually being there would be that it's somehow disabled in restrictions, that there's some jailbreak tweak that is hiding or affecting it, or that there's just some glitch and somethings that went wrong.

After checking the restrictions settings and even enabling/disabling them to see if that might make it appear, I'd try resetting settings to see if that might help, first maybe just network settings, and then perhaps all settings. That shouldn't change the iOS version you have, but reset things to original configuration which can occasionally help with some weird glitches.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Thank you for your answer.

Well - I think it´s simple like that:I didn´t agree instantly for the new license agreement (and perhaps clicked the wrong button at that time by accident) and - logically if you don´t agree: the app is gone!

As the iPad works very well - apart from the new SONOS app neither can I install Deezer on it - I hesitate a little bit to upgrade… will check again if I can make re-appear the app-store-button tomorrow…

Thanks again!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
PROBLEM SOLVED:

(edit: as CDM correctly stated in the next posting, he had the right diagnosis and I didn´t understand… Ny prejudice was that if I do not even see the button, it "shurely" has disappeared… in fact, its wa s not, it was just hidden because of activating the restrictions…)

When upgrading from IOS 6 to IOS 7 tears ago his app seems either to be disabled by default or I did disable it myself, I don´t know.
What I still know is that at that time the app store/iTunes had serious security issues…

To enable/disable you have to create your own code - so I don´t understand, why apple hides/lets disappear even the simple app-store button… the disappearance of the app store icon on the iPad is not at all necessary and even confusing (Q.E.D.) because without the second security code you can´t do anything - you can´t even have a look which apps are en/disabled…no way.

General--> restrictions ---> enter code --> adapt/change app-restrictions. That´s all.

Well, when I finally found out, I was sort of amused and a little bit ashamed… if one knows, it´s soooo damn easy. :D

So - just in case there might be one day someone else with the same problem, here is the instruction from the apple-website:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

The good news: I can stay with my good old IOS 7 (the retina iPad had only the A5 processor!) which still works perfectly - never change a running system! IOS 9 is said to have still its problems with older processors and there are still bugs…

The updates in the app store are now done.

I look forward to use my iPad for some more years… YEP! :)

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED:

When upgrading from IOS 6 to IOS 7 tears ago his app seems either to be disabled by default or I did disable it myself, I don´t know.
What I still know is that at that time the app store/iTunes had serious security issues…

To enable/disable you have to create your own code - so I don´t understand, why apple hides/lets disappear even the simple app-store button… the disappearance of the app store icon on the iPad is not at all necessary and even confusing (Q.E.D.) because without the second security code you can´t do anything - you can´t even have a look which apps are en/disabled…no way.

General--> restrictions ---> enter code --> adapt/change app-restrictions. That´s all.

Well, when I finally found out, I was sort of amused and a little bit ashamed… if one knows, it´s soooo damn easy. :D

So - just in case there might be one day someone else with the same problem, here is the instruction from the apple-website:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

The good news: I can stay with my good old IOS 7 (the retina iPad had only the A5 processor!) which still works perfectly - never change a running system! IOS 9 is said to have still its problems with older processors and there are still bugs…

The updates in the app store are now done.

I look forward to use my iPad for some more years… YEP! :)
Seems like those are the very restrictions that I was referencing form the very beginning.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Seems like those are the very restrictions that I was referencing form the very beginning.

Yes, but I misunderstood you when you wrote this (perhaps also because I use it in an other language. I found the same tip in a european forum in my native language (just one sentence, but the title was about "App disappeared after upgrade to IOS7") .
Additionally, I seem to have read your posting a bit too superficial… english is not my native language and I interpreted "Perhaps it got turned off in restrictions?" as if you meant I have been blocked by apple… Your second posting was much clearer, but I still didn´t get it… I was very tired then either.. and did not read again ...

means its even more shameful for me….
Now, that I have read again your first posting I confess: It´s exactly what you told me…
SORRY.

Will correct what I wrote… above.

Thanks again for your help! Was my fault not to understand correctly your posting.

cheers!.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, but I misunderstood you when you wrote this (perhaps also because I use it in an other language. I found the same tip in a european forum in my native language (just one sentence, but the title was about "App disappeared after upgrade to IOS7") .
Additionally, I seem to have read your posting a bit too superficial… english is not my native language and I interpreted "Perhaps it got turned off in restrictions?" as if you meant I have been blocked by apple… Your second posting was much clearer, but I still didn´t get it… I was very tired then either.. and did not read again ...

means its even more shameful for me….
Now, that I have read again your first posting I confess: It´s exactly what you told me…
SORRY.

Will correct what I wrote… above.

Thanks again for your help! Was my fault not to understand correctly your posting.

cheers!.
Well, the main thing is it got figured out in the end. So that's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.