Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
How often do you restart/shutdown your Android tablet? I’ve tried treating it like an iPad and actually restarting it every few months. And have come to the conclusion that is not often enough. After restarting, loading and watching videos or Netflix it is much peppier. Just wondering what other people’s experiences are.

I’m just using a fire tablet primarily as a media viewer.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It's not something I really pay attention to, although I probably never go more than a month before restarting as within that time span I will probably end up restarting it to either apply an update or because I have forgotten to charge it.

Last edited:

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
There's no need to restart the tablets because these tablets are running on OS that are designed to be good enough to run 24/7 unless something crashes the OS.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am old school from the days when computers were a lot less reliable and I have found over the years a lot of problems people have are not because something is actually wrong they just haven't restarted the device in ages. Updates often and I personally restart or turn off and back on my devices, all of them every time I use them or daily.

As others have said any mobile OS is designed to run for a long time without restarting but there are limits. If you really have an aversion to restarting your device frequently then once a week would be a good compromise. Should ensure stability and refresh the cache every so often.

Everyone has their own method. Probably best just to use trial and error and try different time periods between restarts and see how your day to day performance and reliability change depending on the time frame. Eventually you will figure out an optimal time to restart for your device and OS.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I turn my tablet off after every use. I dont use it near as often as my phone. I charged it up during the night last night as it was kinda low after a little useage over a few days but i may not even use it today. If i dont use it as often, why leave it on? Thats just me.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I shut down my tablet when not in use. PC too.
I'm reluctant to charge my tablets overnight.
Sometimes my iPad though.
I leave my Android tablets on while charging to backup my Google account.
Okay, iPad too.
I've recently set my Samsung tablets to charge only to 85%.
Does that matter or just a gimmick?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For a newer android tablet like Samsung's from the past few years I wouldn't treat any differently to how I treat my iPads. I would only restart if I was having an issue. I would imagine that to be quite infrequent. I have a fire tablet and it does get sluggish. Regular reboots do help a lot. I would imagine that being due to to lousy processor in it.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.