Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue-lion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Hi, I was wondering when I will see some data in the 'resting calories' section of the health app? I have inputted all my personal data, height, weight,etc...and been using the watch to gather other info, but for some reason this section remains empty?

pilot3033

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hi, I was wondering when I will see some data in the 'resting calories' section of the health app? I have inputted all my personal data, height, weight,etc...and been using the watch to gather other info, but for some reason this section remains empty?

Did you input that data into the Activity app or just the Health app? One thing I've found, and disliked, is that even some of Apple's own apps don't use Health as the central data hub it's designed to be.

That said, resting calories are pretty off in the watch. I had a full body scan as part of a physical today, and my BMR (resting calories) is listed as 1,600. The Activity app gave me nearly 3,000 the other day.

blue-lion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I don't know how you enter it into the activity app?
Are you saying I have to enter it every day?, manually?

blue-lion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Ok. I had done that already.
Does your health app show you your resting calories?

pilot3033

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Ok. I had done that already.
Does your health app show you your resting calories?

"Activity" gives a resting calories estimate. "Health" has a database for resting calories, also, but I have not seen Activity add data to Health for resting calories.

Frankly, unless you're being constantly monitored and eating a strictly controlled diet where all the variables are always known, it's better to just use this data to plan a rough idea of what you should be consuming/exerting per day. Filling out the green ring on the watch is a good way to do it, so is completing the red move ring. There are some online calculators to help find your base metabolic rate but even that is wonky. Depending on which one you chose, my BMR is 2,050, 1,800, or 1,660cals/day. I know my body fat percentage, so I chose the lowest number and try to eat less than 1,660 calories in a day, or make up for it with exercise.

But like I said, it's rough. Fretting over 10 or 20 calories here or there won't matter because online food databases aren't equivalent to whatever you put on your plate. You can get close, so use that closeness to identify trends and habits instead of minute data.

taff2003

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
UK
I've entered my personal details in both the Health app and the AW app, and I'm not seeing any resting calories info being recorded in the Health app - ever.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
If you look at the resting calories page then click on "share data" you will see no data sources.

The AW cannot update this graph in the health app if there are no data sources that's why you are seeing no resting calories in the health app.

You cannot add the watch as a resting calories data source.

3under2

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
fc01ce48ad686bb6bffb0bb9adeb996d.jpg

Are you talking about this screen or?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Go to the Health App on your phone.

Health Data (bottom button)
Fitness
Resting Calories
Share Data

You will see that Data Sources is empty. IE Nothing is sending resting calorie data to the app.

If you then look at Active Calories and data sources you will see the watch (and maybe some other apps if you have them installed).

stoomc

Suspended
May 11, 2015
I thank the OP is talking about this.

I'm confused, and pretty sure I've picked up something wrong here, but why does your resting calories fluctuate so much from day to day?
Surely resting calories is the same every day unless you are gaining or losing.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I'm confused, and pretty sure I've picked up something wrong here, but why does your resting calories fluctuate so much from day to day?
Surely resting calories is the same every day unless you are gaining or losing.

Yes you would think so. Looking at my iPhone activity app, my resting calories are pretty much 2700 per day regardless of exercise or not.

Julian, what is your data source for resting calories in the Health App? It’s obviously not coming from the Watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm also curious Julien as to where (which app) your calorie data is coming from :).

I had never looked at it and just added the field and took a screen shoot. I just checked and the data is pulled from my Withings App. Not sure how are why because it is not correct. I also tried some quick research and can't find any documentation about Withings and calculating resting calories.

Not sure why the Health App doesn't calculate resting calories itself.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I had never looked at it and just added the field and took a screen shoot. I just checked and the data is pulled from my Withings App. Not sure how are why because it is not correct. I also tried some quick research and can't find any documentation about Withings and calculating resting calories.

Not sure why the Health App doesn't calculate resting calories itself.

Looking at your results it would appear the app is inaccurate too. Your resting calories should be similar day in, day out.

stoomc

Suspended
May 11, 2015
Looking at your results it would appear the app is inaccurate too. Your resting calories should be similar day in, day out.

Yeah. Even if you were gaining or losing weight every day, this would change your resting calories, however it wouldn't fluctuate as wildly as that graph.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.