Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Conza

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
So I can't believe it would do this, my home folder was not proper case so I wanted to change it

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Selected my user "Advanced Options" then I went to update the folder and without having an option to revert, bam, user downgraded to "Standard".

Please help :S?

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
It sounds like you changed your account's username, which will cause things like this to happen. Probably the easiest way to fix that would be to create a new administrator account using the instructions found here.

Once you do that, you'll be taken to Setup Assistant and set up your computer as if it were brand new, and set up a new account. This account will have administrator rights, and you can use that to repair your account.

You'll want to edit your actual home folder in /Users first to have the appropriate case, then in System Preferences » Users & Groups » Your User » Advanced Options, choose your new home folder in the Home Directory field, and change the Account Name field back to what it was before. Once this is all done, try logging out and then in as your original account and see if your data is there and if you have admin rights again.

Conza

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
It sounds like you changed your account's username, which will cause things like this to happen. Probably the easiest way to fix that would be to create a new administrator account using the instructions found here.

Thank you sir! You're a life saver, phewf, surprisingly easy.

I renamed the folder previously, checked it just before and looks the same, restored the user, restarted, selected my old user, and thankfully, I'm an Admin again.

Really appreciate your quick and straight forward response

Reactions: Shadow Jolteon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.