Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziomangrovia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
On MBP 15" retina latest 2013 I lost my ssd disk, It's in fault. I was using latest BigSur .

Once I replaced disk I want to recover my Big Sur OSX (configuration included) with its data by Time Machine (Airport Time Capsule) which I was using to make backup.

What steps I have to follow ? First step is to install Big Sur ?

MacOS recover console permits me, by wifi network, to reinstall only Mavericks

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yes, you need to install Big Sur yourself. Time Machine no longer backs up the OS.

Try using Option-Command-R to boot into recovery. That key combination should install the latest compatible version, which is Big Sur. Otherwise, you'll need to make a bootable installer from another Mac.

Sounds like you might be doing Option-Shift-Command-R, which installs the version that shipped with the Mac.

ziomangrovia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Sounds like you might be doing Option-Shift-Command-R, which installs the version that shipped with the Mac.
Mavericksis thelast version. I upgraded to Big Sur last time. Can I create boot installer by recovery console ?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Mavericksis thelast version. I upgraded to Big Sur last time.
Just to be sure, are you pressing Option-Command-R? You have to press the right key combination to get the corresponding OS you want. Different key combinations give you different OS versions. It's explained in the link I posted.

Can I create boot installer by recovery console ?
Not that I'm aware of. If Option-Command-R isn't giving you Big Sur, you could always install Mavericks and upgrade...or install/upgrade, create the bootable USB installer, and then wipe the disk and reinstall using the bootable USB installer.

Reactions: ziomangrovia

ziomangrovia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Yes, you need to install Big Sur yourself. Time Machine no longer backs up the OS.
So during Big Sur installtion what steps to follow to restore previous OSX configuration + data if I used Time Machine?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
So during Big Sur installtion what steps to follow to restore previous OSX configuration + data if I used Time Machine?
It won't be during the installation. It'll be during the setup process. After installing, go through the setup process as normal. You'll eventually get to a screen asking if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.