Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazy_Lightning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
I have latest version of the 11.4.1 Public Beta (4) installed. The only backup I have was created was done with the PB 4. If I want to do a factory reset, can I restore from the backup created with the 11.4.1 Public Beta 4 (via iTunes to ensure it is a complete one)?

I guess the same question would apply if I upgrade to iOS 12 Beta and decide to go back to 11.4.1 (PB 4).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
If you are asking about restoring 11.4.1 beta backup to iOS 11.4 then no, it's technically not possible. You will have to wait for 11.4.1 official release or staying on beta. Same for iOS 12.

Lazy_Lightning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't want to restore to 11.4; I'd want to restore to the 11.4.1 beta.

In other words, if I only have a beta backup, am I able to do a full factory reset? My hope would be that when I restore from backup it still have the 11.4.1 beta iOS on it and it would do a full restore via iTunes.

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Haven't tried that but the general logic of Apple is that you can restore from the backup with the same iOS or older. So if you will have iOS 11.4.1 beta on device and in the backup there should be no issues.

NB: As I haven't tried resetting to factory on a beta version I'm only 90% sure about my anwer, but it should work the same as with regular backup restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.