Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
Hi guys,

Ever since 9.3 update release, which is very recent for iPad Air 1st gen, I restored my iPad and did the update. Once done, first thing I noticed was that it immediately sets my iPad as a new one whereas normally I would get the option to restore from my backups. So I checked my backup folder and all my backups are still there though under the Device tab in Preference of my iTunes, it's all empty, gone are all my iPhone and iPad backups though my phone still has the restore from backup function on and I can still get a list of previous backups to restore from.

So what do you reckon happened? Any solution? Thanks.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
Can't delete my backup since it's the only backup I have for my iPad. Tried so many different ways to solve this to no avail...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

Ever since 9.3 update release, which is very recent for iPad Air 1st gen, I restored my iPad and did the update. Once done, first thing I noticed was that it immediately sets my iPad as a new one whereas normally I would get the option to restore from my backups. So I checked my backup folder and all my backups are still there though under the Device tab in Preference of my iTunes, it's all empty, gone are all my iPhone and iPad backups though my phone still has the restore from backup function on and I can still get a list of previous backups to restore from.

So what do you reckon happened? Any solution? Thanks.

If your device is on iOS 9.3 you can only restore backups made in iOS 9.3 and not prior versions. Is this the problem you are facing?

Reactions: dimzen

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
If your device is on iOS 9.3 you can only restore backups made in iOS 9.3 and not prior versions. Is this the problem you are facing?

I don't think this is correct.

You can restore a backup that was made on an older version, but you cannot restore a backup made on a newer version (say a Beta, or while both new and old versions are still being signed).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't think this is correct.

You can restore a backup that was made on an older version, but you cannot restore a backup made on a newer version (say a Beta, or while both new and old versions are still being signed).

Well, tell that to iTunes then. When I installed 9.3 it wouldn't let me restore a 9.2.1 backup for some reason :)

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
I'm trying to restore to 9.3.1 now, hope it sorts out the problem.

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
Sorted out the problem. Apparently the problem is caused by my SIM card being out of whack, so I had to replace it and it's back to normal for my iPad Air.

Reactions: noobcodered

Yongkykun

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
OK, it's back to being greyed out even though I did get to restore from backup that one time. Now iTunes still has the restore from backup button greyed out and won't update some apps on my iPad Air so I had to update my apps directly on my device. Totally confused as to why this is happening to me. Even scarier still, if I were to go and buy me an Ipad Pro, I won't have the latest data when I restore it to my iPad Air's backup. I suspect there's a problem with my iTunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.