Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Question, I have a series 8 Apple Watch and iPhone 14 PM coming in (fingers crossed) this Friday. What order should I set things up if I want to have both new devices restore from backup? Setup iPhone first then Apple Watch on new device or should I set the watch up first on my old iPhone?

globule

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2015
I'm also wondering the same thing. The suggestion I've heard most often is to unpair your old watch from your old phone, which will make a backup of it, which should then be transferred to your new phone when you go through the setup process. Then you can set up the new watch on the new phone and it should be restored from the old watch backup.

Reactions: Sunil_k

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Not positive of this but if you do the “data transfer” from you existing iPhone to your new 14 iPhone, you should not have to do the Watch backup and restore thing. Everything should be moved over to your new phone, including your watch.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Not positive of this but if you do the “data transfer” from you existing iPhone to your new 14 iPhone, you should not have to do the Watch backup and restore thing. Everything should be moved over to your new phone, including your watch.
does this also transfer passwords and stuff? i usually make a encrypted backup on my pc to not have to worry about passwords.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
does this also transfer passwords and stuff? i usually make a encrypted backup on my pc to not have to worry about passwords.
Yes. My passwords moved over. I am not positive as it has been a year, but you might have to re-enter the 3 digit code on any credit cards used in Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.