Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeoverride

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I was having issues with the latest Catalina OS X on my iMac. I read that I could restore the previous OS by booting in Recovery Mode. I selected a previous date from my Time Capsule backups and started the process. It looked like it was going to take a ridiculous amount of hours. The next day I checked on it and there was an error. Now I can't load the OS (there's a circle with a slash over it).

I was able to get back to Recovery Mode and select the Time Capsule but after I enter the password and hit "Connect", nothing happens.

I can use another computer and see Time Capsule in Finder. There's a folder called "Data". If I double-click it, I see another folder called "Felipe's iMac". It's not something that I can open but I can right-click and select "Show Package Contents" (please see image attached). I was hoping to at least be able to find some of my backed up documents but I don't see anything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 11.34.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 11.34.50 PM.png
    816.3 KB · Views: 221

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I was having issues with the latest Catalina OS X on my iMac. I read that I could restore the previous OS by booting in Recovery Mode. I selected a previous date from my Time Capsule backups and started the process. It looked like it was going to take a ridiculous amount of hours. The next day I checked on it and there was an error. Now I can't load the OS (there's a circle with a slash over it).

I was able to get back to Recovery Mode and select the Time Capsule but after I enter the password and hit "Connect", nothing happens.

I can use another computer and see Time Capsule in Finder. There's a folder called "Data". If I double-click it, I see another folder called "Felipe's iMac". It's not something that I can open but I can right-click and select "Show Package Contents" (please see image attached). I was hoping to at least be able to find some of my backed up documents but I don't see anything.
From the other threads that I have seen, Time Machine backups are very unreliable and corrupt easily. Apple doesnt put effort into these anymore, I hope you find a solution. Other users have told me to use CCC (carbon copy cloner) to backup.

halofan56

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
From the other threads that I have seen, Time Machine backups are very unreliable and corrupt easily. Apple doesnt put effort into these anymore, I hope you find a solution. Other users have told me to use CCC (carbon copy cloner) to backup.
I've used both Time Machine and CCC under Migration Assistant. Every couple months I run disk utility to make sure they have no errors. So when crunch time comes, I can rely on these external drives. I prefer ccc, but its nice to have a backup.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I've used both Time Machine and CCC under Migration Assistant. Every couple months I run disk utility to make sure they have no errors. So when crunch time comes, I can rely on these external drives. I prefer ccc, but its nice to have a backup.
I rely on time machine, how do I ensure that it is running well and reduce chances of it corrupting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.