Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
Hi

Currently I am running macOS Catalina, I haven't create a bootable USB stick yet, If I run the Catalina Installer on top of my macOS will I restore my MBP to factory settings or I will create a chaos?

Tc

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If you were to do an erase and install, that would restore the computer to factory condition. Reinstalling on top of your current install would only overwrite the OS system files and not touch your user files.

Reactions: Xray50

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
If you were to do an erase and install, that would restore the computer to factory condition. Reinstalling on top of your current install would only overwrite the OS system files and not touch your user files.

This MBP I am working with at this moment is crashing very frequently, I haven't send it to the technician due the pandemic, since the crashing started the computer is very slow, maybe overwriting the OS system files and not touch your user files will fix it?

TC

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This MBP I am working with at this moment is crashing very frequently, I haven't send it to the technician due the pandemic, since the crashing started the computer is very slow, maybe overwriting the OS system files and not touch your user files will fix it?

TC

A few things to try:
  • Reset SMC and PRAM.
  • Boot into Safe Mode and back to normal mode. This will clear out the system caches.
  • Re-run the latest 10.15.6 full installer from the Mac App Store to just refresh the OS system files.
  • Create a new partition (new Container) on your internal drive and do a clean install of 10.15.6 to the new partition. Reboot to the new partition and setup it up as a new computer and initially don't install any third party software. See if the crashing still happens in the clean install. If the crashing does not happen then you might start brining over any third party apps and see if maybe one of those might be causing the crashing issue. When you are done, reboot back to your current install and remove the new partition.

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
A few things to try:
  • Reset SMC and PRAM.
  • Boot into Safe Mode and back to normal mode. This will clear out the system caches.
  • Re-run the latest 10.15.6 full installer from the Mac App Store to just refresh the OS system files.
  • Create a new partition (new Container) on your internal drive and do a clean install of 10.15.6 to the new partition. Reboot to the new partition and setup it up as a new computer and initially don't install any third party software. See if the crashing still happens in the clean install. If the crashing does not happen then you might start brining over any third party apps and see if maybe one of those might be causing the crashing issue. When you are done, reboot back to your current install and remove the new partition.

I have followed all the steps you suggest me and the third party app causing the crashes is DaVinci Resolve 16 by Blackmagic Design and its corrupted database, I will repeat all the steps again o_O

I going to start tomorrow again to find out the app with the problem was very time consuming ?
If my MBP continues crashing I will post it in this thread.

TC and Thank you

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have followed all the steps you suggest me and the third party app causing the crashes is DaVinci Resolve 16 by Blackmagic Design and its corrupted database, I will repeat all the steps again o_O

I going to start tomorrow again to find out the app with the problem was very time consuming ?

TC and Thank you

That is excellent that you were able to find the source of the crashes. Glad I was able to help. Diagnosis issues like these can be very difficult to figure out.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Don't forget you can try creating a fresh test admin account, and log in to that. If the machine behaves the same from the new account, it is NOT a user-specific preference or issue. If the machine is stable and happy, then the issue IS with the user account or related settings, prefs, caches, etc.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City

TC and Thank you

1. Did you update your Resolve software version?
  2. You need to backup your database before installing new Resolve software.
  3. If you are using a Disk database, and a new Resolve version has database changes.
  4. Periodic backups of your database is very important, even if you are not installing new Resolve software
Updating the database makes the database not compatible with older versions of DaVinci Resolve.

Camelia

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
  1. Did you update your Resolve software version?
  2. You need to backup your database before installing new Resolve software.
  3. If you are using a Disk database, and a new Resolve version has database changes.
  4. Periodic backups of your database is very important, even if you are not installing new Resolve software
Updating the database makes the database not compatible with older versions of DaVinci Resolve.

Camelia

OMG yes, I updated it !!

TC

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
OMG yes, I updated it !!

TC

1. Backup again your database.
  2. Save the .diskdb file in your Desktop.
  3. Open a plain text and copy and paste the name of your .diskdb file
  4. Move to trash the .diskdb file.
  5. Save the text file with the same name of the original .diskdb file in your desktop (Uncheck "If no extension is provided, use ."txt".).
  6. Close TextEdit
  7. Click on Restore, select Open, Choose the new .diskdb file, Type a "Name" and select a "Location"
  8. Click on Create.
  9. When the message Window appear asking you "Are you sure your would like to restore the database ".diskdb" (0.0MB)?
  10. Click on Restore.
  11. If you see an Error "Failed to restore database: Failed to restore database USERNAME from /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/.diskdb. Click OK
  12. Close DaVinci.
  13. Restart.
After restart Open DaVinci and check if your database is fixed

Camelia

01Davinci.jpg

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
  1. Backup again your database.
  2. Save the .diskdb file in your Desktop.
  3. Open a plain text and copy and paste the name of your .diskdb file
  4. Move to trash the .diskdb file.
  5. Save the text file with the same name of the original .diskdb file in your desktop (Uncheck "If no extension is provided, use ."txt".).
  6. Close TextEdit
  7. Click on Restore, select Open, Choose the new .diskdb file, Type a "Name" and select a "Location"
  8. Click on Create.
  9. When the message Window appear asking you "Are you sure your would like to restore the database ".diskdb" (0.0MB)?
  10. Click on Restore.
  11. If you see an Error "Failed to restore database: Failed to restore database USERNAME from /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/.diskdb. Click OK
  12. Close DaVinci.
  13. Restart.
After restart Open DaVinci and check if your database is fixed

Camelia

Thank you, DaVinci is working great!

Now, The problem is with some apps I need to deactivate and I cannot because if I run in these apps an spinning ball of death appears and I have to force quit the app, after that the system freeze.

I don't have a backup ?

Tc

Last edited:

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Thank you, DaVinci is working great!

Now, The problem is with some apps I need to deactivate and I cannot because if I run in these apps an spinning ball of death appears and I have to force quit the app, after that the system freeze.

I don't have a backup ?

Tc

Did you experience any power failure?
Do you turn of you Mac normally after the system freeze?

Came

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Si, me he quedado sin batería especialmente cuando viajo

Is it the problem?

Tc

Si, me he quedado sin batería especialmente cuando viajo

Translation: Yes, I have run out of batteries specially when traveling

If you have run out of battery in your laptop when traveling, maybe you macOS is corrupted for that reason
IF @hobowankenobi @Taz Mangus and @ApfelKuchen agree my advice will be:
Reinstalling on top of your current install would only overwrite the OS system files and not touch your user files
see post #2

Maybe it may fix the corrupted files

Do not forget to backup first your system with Carbon Copy Cloner
CCC is free for 30 days.

Let us know if your problem is solved

Camelia

Last edited:

Xray50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Puebla, Mexico
If you have run out of battery in your laptop when traveling, maybe you macOS is corrupted for that reason
IF @hobowankenobi @Taz Mangus and @ApfelKuchen agree my advice will be: see post #2

Maybe it may fix the corrupted files

Do not forget to backup first your system with Carbon Copy Cloner
CCC is free for 30 days.

Let us know if your problem is solved

Camelia

Thank you I did what you told me and now the computer is working like brand new

Muchas Gracias @camelia

Tc

Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.