Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
The plan is to get a 2014 Mini with maxed out RAM as to replace the late 2011 MBPro which at this moment is my most powerful computing machine, it got 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD and the plan is to move the SSD from the MBPro to the Mini.

Since the Mini will come with a spinning HD I thought I'd try and backup the MBPro content onto the Mini HD, then move the SSD to the Mini, would it work with something like CCC or do I better wipe it all out (the SSD after backing it up), install OS from scratch and then backup apps, library and media from the MBPro to the Mini newly installed OS?

Grazie

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Maybe it's just me but I have no idea at all what you are trying to do.

Either way, there's no point in reinstalling macOS from scratch. You should be able to simply take the SSD, pop it into the Mini and continue where you left off.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Maybe it's just me but I have no idea at all what you are trying to do.

Either way, there's no point in reinstalling macOS from scratch. You should be able to simply take the SSD, pop it into the Mini and continue where you left off.

So I can swap the SSD between the MBPro and the Mini and have it run with no issues?

Just wanted to make a working copy of my SSD to the Mini before I try to swap as to have a backup in case something goes wrong

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I see, now I understand. Yes, you definitely should have a working backup copy before you swap those disks but other than that it should work just fine and run with no issues.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
How can I do that? I mean, I am getting the Mini next week, I suppose it will have a fresh installed OS onto it, is there a way to connect the two via FW a' la old times and transfer the data (library, applications, home folder etc) as to have it all backed up and working? Which software could I use?

Grazie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.