Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkaSocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hey all,

I have a 2008 13" Black Macbook that I'm hoping to finally part ways with. Only problem is, I want to perform a wipe it clean and reinstall OS X Leopard and I can't find my original install disc.
I've had a look online and can't seem to see anywhere to buy it. I could swear I saw it on the Apple store recently, and for cheap too, but now it seems to be gone.
My question is, what is the best way of going about this? Can I buy an OS X Snow Leopard disc and perform a clean install from that, or does it have to be the original OS that shipped with the machine? And then...what? How do I restore it to factory settings?

Any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

Matt

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can only reinstall Leopard on the machine with its restore discs. The retail version is too old. I suggest getting Snow Leopard for $20 from Apple and installing that.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Buy the Snow Leopard disk.

Boot off the Snow Leopard disk.
Use Disk Utility to erase the drive in the Mac.
Install Snow Leopard.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....if you contact Apple they should be able to sell you restore discs for your specific model for a nominal fee ($20 IIRC). This *may* be the better method if you're planning on selling the computer as not only can you then pass the discs on with the sale but the new owner can decide how and if they wish to upgrade. In addition, the Snow Leopard disc will only contain the operating system where the computer-specific discs will have the iLife apps (and whatever else) shipping with the computer...you're new buyer *may* want that as well....oh yeah!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here's one more suggestion to consider buying the Snow Leopard DVD, and installing that instead...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Ideally, when you sell a Mac (pre-Lion OS 10.7), you should include Apple installer disks for the OS with it: the original disks that came with the machine, if you still have them, and also any disk for subsequent upgrades.

If you do buy either replacement Leopard disks for that machine, if available, or a retail Snow Leopard disk, then you need to include that with the sale. Buying a Mac without installer disks is contrary to the licence, as the seller with the disks is technically still the licencee, who has made an unlawful copy on someone else's Mac.

It's probably easier to get Snow Leopard, and makes for a more attractive purchase.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hey all,

I have a 2008 13" Black Macbook that I'm hoping to finally part ways with. Only problem is, I want to perform a wipe it clean and reinstall OS X Leopard and I can't find my original install disc.
I've had a look online and can't seem to see anywhere to buy it. I could swear I saw it on the Apple store recently, and for cheap too, but now it seems to be gone.
My question is, what is the best way of going about this? Can I buy an OS X Snow Leopard disc and perform a clean install from that, or does it have to be the original OS that shipped with the machine? And then...what? How do I restore it to factory settings?

Any help would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

Matt

It would be more worth it to just buy Snow Leopard and do a clean install (probably just wipe the disk using Disk Utility and then do an install) ;)

jacbec

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
What if I need Leopard to run a critical program that only works with Leopard? It's called "NUD to iCal."

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with others who suggest installing Snow Leopard from the Apple DVD...

betaclone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
My optical drive doesn't work

I'm selling my old MacBook Pro to an online refurbisher. It's running 10.6 and I don't care about installing a newer version. I just want to wipe the drive before I send it to be scrapped for parts. Even if I had an install disk I couldn't use it because of te non-functional optical drive. Any options?

endlightend

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
I'm selling my old MacBook Pro to an online refurbisher. It's running 10.6 and I don't care about installing a newer version. I just want to wipe the drive before I send it to be scrapped for parts. Even if I had an install disk I couldn't use it because of te non-functional optical drive. Any options?

External optical drive through the USB, unless you made a prior backup and have access to the installer.dmg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.