Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
Hello, I need some assistance with performing a restore, I recenlty acquired another Imac found at a thrift shop and it works great however i need help trying to or performing a restore and erase current user profile. the current version installed is OSX 10.6.8 this is a IMAC 9, please see pic for other info. everything works on it no issues with hardware. I just to see if i can upgrade it to at least to LION or above.
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 10.6.8
how do i create a bootable usb , the imac has a disk drive but i do not have any DVD's

where do i get an image from? lion or above.

thanks

Attachments

• 20230815_171310.jpg
    20230815_171310.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 165

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
iMac 24-inch, Early 2009
Shipped with Leopard installed.
You can upgrade to El Capitan, if you want to do that. El Capitan would be the newest version that Apple provided to support your iMac9,1
You can download the installer app from Apple. Links and other info in this support doc - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
thanks how would i run it? can i create a usb boot on my windows pc? or do i have to be on the imac to do it?

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
this is going to be an issue, I downloaded the dmg file for el capitan and ran it it is asking for username and password i do not know the password how can i install from usb to install and erase previous user profile?

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
this is going to be an issue, I downloaded the dmg file for el capitan and ran it it is asking for username and password i do not know the password how can i install from usb to install and erase previous user profile?

If the DMG has successfully downloaded then you don't need to pursue the USB install route.

To reset the password on Snow Leopard, which will then allow you to install El Capitan from the DMG, try this...

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
ok so i was able to get the password changed, I logged in and ran the dmg file package for el capitan and authenticated however nothing changed? what is the issue

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
I went into recovery mode and erased the hard drive which is an Hitachi drive and kept the disk imager which can not be erased, I launched the restore to new version of OS x and logged into itunes app store and authenticated with my account, ( this mac did not belong to me i bought it a thrift store) it will not update the OSX just says app store not availabe try again later. wth

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You will get to try again...
Download the installer dmg file.
When you run that, it says it is installing. It is not, in fact, installing El Capitan. That dmg file simply copies the installer app, which can then be found in the Applications folder. Once you have that installer app in your Applications folder, you can then run the installer. THAT will then upgrade the system that you are presently booted to, to El Capitan.

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
You will get to try again...
Download the installer dmg file.
When you run that, it says it is installing. It is not, in fact, installing El Capitan. That dmg file simply copies the installer app, which can then be found in the Applications folder. Once you have that installer app in your Applications folder, you can then run the installer. THAT will then upgrade the system that you are presently booted to, to El Capitan.
the imac i am trying to restore has been wiped so i have to create a bootable USB or DVD? i have another imac that i maybe can run the boot loader installer on it here is the specs on that one is this doable?

the one i want to restore with new image is this imac :

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
I did it this way.
First, get from Internet Archive an iso of El Capitan. If possible, torrent the download, it's much faster. On your other mac, download balena etcher.
Use that to make your USB installer.
Boot to it in your 'new' mac. Use disk utility to completely erase, not restore.
Close disk utility and go to Install macOS and away you go.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I did it this way.
First, get from Internet Archive an iso of El Capitan. If possible, torrent the download, it's much faster. On your other mac, download balena etcher.
Boot to it in your 'new' mac. Use disk utility to completely erase, not restore.

Another option is this method. It enabled me to create an El Capitan USB installer within macOS - doing it this way precluded the need to download additional software or an ISO. This approach also means that the installer is the recertified version and spares you the hassle of entering Recovery Mode and Terminal to alter the computer's time/date settings in order for the installation to proceed.

Reactions: gow75

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
I did it this way.
im going to try both.. thank you all much will be in touch soon.

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
ok so i used a usb flash drive on my old mac 2006 one and copied the elcapitan.dmg file over to the mac and ran disk utlity, however i run into this issue now wtf

Attachments

• 20230913_121751.jpg
    20230913_121751.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 53

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That probably won't work.
Double click on the .dmg
It will mount on your desktop as a folder. Open that folder. Should be a package (.pkg) file inside that folder.
Double click the .pkg file. THAT will copy the installer app to your Applications folder.
Then, do two more steps. Copy that "Install OS X El Capitan" app to an external drive, as the install process will delete the installer app in your Applications folder, as a final step in the OS X install. You should save it to an exteranl drive before you start the install, just in case you need it again later, you will have it stored on your external drive.
THEN, simply double-click the installer app (in your Applications folder, right?), and follow the steps to upgrade your existing system to El Capitan. You don't actually need a bootable install, when you can simply run the installer to upgrade your existing system.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
ok so i used a usb flash drive on my old mac 2006 one and copied the elcapitan.dmg file over to the mac and ran disk utlity, however i run into this issue now wtf
I figured it out USB has been imaged now via disk utility now i am going to try and image the newer iMAC 9.1

gow75

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho
That probably won't work.
Double click on the .dmg
It will mount on your desktop as a folder. Open that folder. Should be a package (.pkg) file inside that folder.
Double click the .pkg file. THAT will copy the installer app to your Applications folder.
Then, do two more steps. Copy that "Install OS X El Capitan" app to an external drive, as the install process will delete the installer app in your Applications folder, as a final step in the OS X install. You should save it to an exteranl drive before you start the install, just in case you need it again later, you will have it stored on your external drive.
THEN, simply double-click the installer app (in your Applications folder, right?), and follow the steps to upgrade your existing system to El Capitan. You don't actually need a bootable install, when you can simply run the installer to upgrade your existing system.
this will not work because the imac 9.1 is wiped, i also have another imac that is 2006 one i am trying disk utlity on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.