Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Solved on Apple Forums
The shared secret was stored in the System keychain. After copying it over from a time machine backup (/Library/Keychains) I simply opened it in Keychain Access and copy/pasted it into the VPN settings in Network preferences. For some reason I can't connect to the server's local drives, but I can connect to the network shares. But I consider this resolved as the network shares is what I need, and I can make a new VPN profile file next week from the office.

Hey all,

I recently migrated over to a new Mac from a Time Machine backup.

Just to form some context, here's how it went:

MacBook Pro 2011 started having graphics issues (on Mavericks). So I bought a 21 inch iMac, set it up from a Time Machine backup and then later upgraded to Yosemite.

My VPN settings came over just fine.

I decided to trade the 21 inch in for the 27 inch. I then set up the 27 inch with the Time Machine backup of the 21 inch. The 27 inch came with Mavericks, so I did the restore and then upgraded to Yosemite again.

Now my Shared Secret is missing so I cannot connect to my VPN. I tried manually copying over the ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain but no luck...

Is there some way I can copy over some files from either the Time Machine backup (Yosemite) or the MBP (Mavericks) that can restore all of my VPN settings?

I kind of need this to be working by the morning, so any help is much appreciated! Otherwise I'd have to go all the way down to the office (which is an hour away) and create a VPN profile file again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.