Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hi guys ive been backing up and restoring iPhones for years so know the deal, but today I restored a backup to a replacement Iphone XS, (backup file is 24gb) and when i come to do my nightly iCloud backup for the first time on the replacement phone, it says my iCloud doesn't have enough space.
After i check the iCloud account storage, its now attempting to backup my new phone, with the same name, separately - so in effect will be 50gb on my iCloud acc.
Is this a safety system? I assumed it would just replace the old one, seeing as tho its exactly the same?

Thanks

James

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
each device gets its own separate backup. If you had one iPhone that you backed up to iCloud and it took up 10GB of space, (for example) then set up 10 new iPhones restoring from that backup, then backing THEM up to iCloud, each backup would be 10 GB = 110GB needed on iCloud

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Totally undertstand now thanks. Has it always been that way? I dont seem to remember it happening a while ago
[automerge]1587930484[/automerge]
also, just before I sent the old phone back, I turned off 'Find My iPhone', then 'erased all content and settings'.

was this sufficient? I have just seen an apple article suggesting I maybe needed to sign out of iCloud on the device before I erased content and settings? If now that IMEI number is going to be associated with someone else in the future is it wise for me to delete it from my iCloud account now that Its not mine?

Thanks

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Totally undertstand now thanks. Has it always been that way? I dont seem to remember it happening a while ago
[automerge]1587930484[/automerge]
also, just before I sent the old phone back, I turned off 'Find My iPhone', then 'erased all content and settings'.

was this sufficient? I have just seen an apple article suggesting I maybe needed to sign out of iCloud on the device before I erased content and settings? If now that IMEI number is going to be associated with someone else in the future is it wise for me to delete it from my iCloud account now that Its not mine?

Thanks
Go to iCloud.com and remove your old device from your trusted list

Reactions: james-bailey

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes. I've taken advantage of this feature for running beta firmware on same device.

If you backup device to iCloud > Erase all content and settings > Set up as new, next time you do iCloud backup for the same device, backup will be stored as a separate "device profile" so to speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.