Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Hi guys, girls (?) :)

Got an iPad from my niece because she lost the password of her (old) icloud-account. She couldn't delete the account, doesn't know the answer to the security questions or any other recover password option.
So, we were stuck.

I putted the iPad into DFU mode and restored it through iTunes to a factory iOS 8.1.2 (downloaded again with iTunes, then restored it auto...).

iPad rebooted and it asks me to activate the iPad with the same icloud-account that she doesn't know her password from.

Is there any option to work around this and get her iPad working again?
That icloud-account is a pain in the ass! :D

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
See here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

What if I forget my Apple ID password?
If you forget your password, you can reset it at My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com) or by contacting Apple Support and verifying your identity.

If you forget your password and cannot reset it, you will lose access to your Apple ID and may be unable to use or reactivate your device. To help prevent this, visit My Apple ID periodically to review and update your account information.

You may be able to call Apple to verify your/her identity. Otherwise, if your niece didn't take measures to make sure the reset information was correct and up to date, you may be out of luck.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
These sort of posts always make me suspect stuff :/

Anyway, unless you can call Apple up, verify her identity and reset her 'old' Apple ID password, you are out of luck, sorry.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
:rolleyes:

And here it is folks, the first "help me unlock my stolen iPad" thread of 2015.

Honestly, it cracks me up reading the elaborate lies and stories people make up thinking they'll get help on a forum.

Your "niece" doesn't know her password? Or her security question answers? If the iPad was locked using this Apple ID then it was the Apple ID/iCloud account active on the device which means it was that Apple ID and subsequently its password which was used for downloading apps? We're supposed to believe your "niece" didn't download ANY apps? Ever?

Activation Lock has defeated another thief.

diegie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Ok, i'll let her call Apple Support.
I know you guys probably think I stole it or something, but it's not the case.

Thanks for the support anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.