Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
So, I got this Mac in a trade. When I got it, it was so beat up on the bottom case that I considered spray painting it. Scratches and dings, marks everywhere. The serial number was from a different Mac but I couldn’t sand it off the Unibody casing. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. S.O.S steel wool pads to sand it a bit
2. Meguiar’s detailing scratch remover (blended it a bit)
3. I then sanded it down. Got rid of all the small logos and model number above the serial.
4. Filed it a bit, and then more scratch remover
5. Goof off, mixed with scratch remover. It blended it.
6. Then some Hydrogen Peroxide.
7. And then more Meguiar’s.
8. Rinsed and dried the bottom casing off.

The bottom case still has lines and scratches and the wrong serial number or another Mac on it! How can I get the serial # off?

As far as the top case and screen, I got it stunning, looking brand new.

I am considering spray painting the bottom black to match the black keyboard so then I wouldn’t have to worry and I could put new feet on. Isn’t there a Unibody Aluminum colored paint?

Any help would be great. I just want all the scratches and marks off.

After everything i’ve done, It’s looking much better but still looks horrible on the bottom.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
No spray paint. It will look like s***

the professional way would be blasting it with glas pearls (Same machine as sand blasting) and anodizing afterwards. Thats the manufacturing process of apple.

the anodized film is relatively hard. Thats why you have trouble grinding it off. So if that’s your plan you will be left with aluminum which is soft and not protected against corrosion

Last edited:

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
No spray paint. It will look like s***

the professional way would be blasting it with glas pearls (Same machine as sand blasting) and anodizing afterwards. Thats the manufacturing process of apple.

the anodized film is relatively hard. Thats why you have trouble grinding it off. So if that’s your plan you will be left with aluminum which is soft and not protected against corrosion

New bottom case or what about those snap on protective covers?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
New bottom case or what about those snap on protective covers?
If u can find one for a few $ on ebay. But to be honest i would just try to ignore the bottom which u don’t see anyway during use.

I wouldn’t invest anything in a 10year old machine. The dGPU of the 2011 model is a time bomb anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: christiann

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
If u can find one for a few $ on ebay. But to be honest i would just try to ignore the bottom which u don’t see anyway during use.

I wouldn’t invest anything in a 10year old machine. The dGPU of the 2011 model is a time bomb anyway

Yeah. It’s gonna die at some point because of how they messed up w the graphics. It’s the best computer I have (haha), so I’ll try to permanently disable the GPU since it has dual graphics. I just didn’t like how the bottom case was so damaged.

I could do thermal paste, though I already checked everything in the Mac and it runs fine w out a battery and hdd. Parts are on the way! :)

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Someone mentioned this above, but you could just buy one off of ebay. I just did a quick search and they have them for as low as $15. It would be worth it in time alone in trying to fix the one you have now. Just a thought, unless you enjoy trying to fix the one you have, which is sometimes fun to do.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Someone mentioned this above, but you could just buy one off of ebay. I just did a quick search and they have them for as low as $15. It would be worth it in time alone in trying to fix the one you have now. Just a thought, unless you enjoy trying to fix the one you have, which is sometimes fun to do.

I’m on a $30 budget for the whole computer ?

160GB Apple branded Seagate w free returns= $7

Getting old battery and other computer got new battery ($31.90)

RAM? Only 4 GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.